Author Topic: Phoebe  (Read 2034 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Phoebe
« on: February 09, 2007, 14:56:41 »
Some of you may remember me posting a pic of Phoebe my daughters/granddaughters horse. Have always sung Phoebe's praises for supplying me with nice manure. Some weeks ago Phoebe went slightly lame. Vickie (daughter) called vet in, they came along took x-rays etc. Found there was damage to a bone (can't remember name) and surgery was needed. At that point Vickie was told Phoebe may not ever be ridden again, either a brood mare or pet. No argument she would be a pet.. She was taken to Newmarket horse hospital 3  weeks ago, surgery then plaster cast. Few days all was well. The another surgeon said something was wrong, removed plaster cast. Fluid had got in to a part of her leg. Today my son-in-law phoned me from Newmarket Phoebe was having to be "put down" this afternoon. My daughter is in pieces, she couldn't even speak to me on the phone. I know money doesn't come in to it but this has cost nearly £3000. Fortunately Vickie has insurance. I don't know if my Grandaughter is at Newmarket if not Vickie/Paul have got to come home and tell her.
Lorna.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Re: Phoebe
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 14:59:47 »
I,m so sorry
 :'( :'(
margaret
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 15:45:29 »
I know words can't help but we're thinking of you all , hugs 'n' things  :'( :-*

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 16:11:46 »
Lorna, what a sad day for you all, :'( lots of cyber hugs to you, I am thinking of you.  Take care.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 18:06:33 »
I'm SO sorry to read this Lorna. I do hope that your g/daughter was there to say goodbye to Phoebe. What a nasty unexpected thing to happen. :'(

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 18:23:17 »
Lorna

my thoughts are with you.

cj

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 18:25:28 »
Thanks Peeps. Rang son-in-laws mobile as I knew Vickie would be too upset to speak to me. (Wanted to let them know I am going away for a few days) but Paul handed me over to Vickie. I didn't say too much asked if Kellie was OK but of course I knew the answer. I still don't know if Kellie was at Newmarket yesterday, I know Vickie and Paul were. I still have a pic of Phoebe on my computer, don't think they have one so in due course I will ask if they want it printed.
Lorna.

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 18:57:50 »

:'(  that's such sad news Lorna,my heart goes out to the family.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 19:55:20 »
Thanks Bambi. Our three girls had ponies when they were young. Vickie was the most passionate. When she outgrew Polly (her pony) we told her we would have to sell her and then buy a bigger pony, we just couldn't keep any more. In the end she agreed but  it took weeks before she could talk about Polly without bursting in to tears. I am giving her a little time before I phone again, she is a very private person and hates to let people (even me) see her emotions.
Lorna

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 20:39:01 »
Lorna,

So sorry to hear your very sad news. It's terrible when something like this happens with any animal, but with horses it's almost worse because they are so long-lived and they really become part of the family.

I'd never seen my Uncle Bill (a very taciturn & practical countryman) show any sort of emotion until his hunter, Oliver, had to be put down in similar circumstances. It broke his heart. He didn't have another horse for two years afterwards. He said he couldn't face seeing another animal in Oliver's loosebox.

Love and blessings to you & your family,

Tabbycat
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 20:41:19 by tabbycat »

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 22:19:30 »
Oh Lorna, how sad. Big hug from our horsey house to your daughter and granddaughter. When no.1 child had to have her horse Cosmo put down it was one of the most heart breaking things we experienced. Losing her 'best friend' for her and seeing her so bereft for us. She now has another but the relationship is not the same.
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal