Author Topic: TRAWLERMEN  (Read 1610 times)

ACE

• Hectare
TRAWLERMEN
« on: February 06, 2007, 17:19:36 »
Did anybody watch this on the telly. What a way to earn a living! and most of them were smiling most of the time. I shall have a bit more respect for my haddock and chips from now on.

I go out in my little boat to drown a worm now and again. Only when the sun is shining and it is dead flat, but to have to go out in all weathers takes a very brave man.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Re: TRAWLERMEN
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 17:36:17 »
Feel for them! what a job, and that poor bloke throwing up all the time! After the first week on my narrowboat I used to live on I remember swaying on dry land, got some stares at the super market check out!!!  ;)
Will watch it again fascinating!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 17:38:19 »
I love this series, as we used to live in Peterhead when we were kids and my dad worked on the boats - doing the refrigeration not the fishing!!  It always makes me laugh that they put subtitles so everyone can understand what they're saying lol :D  ;)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 17:45:29 »
I agree I shall have much more respect for the fishy on my dishy from now on - breaks my heart to see the wasted fish thrown back.  I know we need to regulate fishing to avoid wiping out some species but there must be a better way.

Any ideas!   

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 19:40:46 »
Do so agree.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 20:34:15 »
I watched this the first time round and was just full of admiration for the men who go out in boats to catch our fish.  I am again enjoying the series the second time round.  My OH family were fishermen from Eyemouth in Berwickshire and feel quite proud of my connection with the sea.  It must be one of the most dangerous occupations, in fact I am sure it is.   ;)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 20:37:59 »
Missed it tonight - have enjoyed it so far they do really risk life and limb but also I feel for the families at home.  The amount of lives lost is so high.

Must admit I do not eat fish on the whole as it can be so expensive.

does seem a shame that they have to trow back so much of the catch if they are small (it is not as if they are alive and can reproduce it is just such a waste)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 20:47:51 »
I watched this the first time round and was just full of admiration for the men who go out in boats to catch our fish.  I am again enjoying the series the second time round.  My OH family were fishermen from Eyemouth in Berwickshire and feel quite proud of my connection with the sea.  It must be one of the most dangerous occupations, in fact I am sure it is.   ;)

I've seen these guys set off out of Eyemouth, (spent a while in Duns) and the thing that stood out to me was the size of the trawlers leaving the harbour and heading for those huge waves, one of which came over the jetty edge by the lighthouse and went right over my head! I say the size...what I'm saying is, they look so tiny against the massive waves they're heading into. I spent time at sea, but not working like those blokes. They have my admiration.

.....and why don't we see people like that in the New Years Honours List instead of millionair Pop 'stars' and some of those complete wasters who spend half their time either popped-up or pushing forward their non-talent and ruining my evening's TV....?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 20:52:33 by kenkew »

groundcover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 21:19:20 »
what a small world - i was born in eyemouth but moved down newcastle upon tyne area many years ago.
Still go there all the time especially for the herring queen festival.
My brother works on the eyemouth fishing boat - the white heather- ring any bells to anyone?.

Suey

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 21:41:02 »
For anyone researching ancestors who were trawlermen out of Hull there is a pdf file which can be downloaded from www.hullcc.gov.uk
Sadly this is 203 pages of trawlermen who were listed as `lost`but it is so very interesting, a dangerous job if ever there was one.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 23:28:14 »
Hubbys family were the Gillies, another fishing family from Eyemouth.  His grandmother was a fishwife who followed the Herring fleet as well.  I know some of his ancestors' were lost in the fishing disaster of 1881 when 180 men lost their lives in the Great Storm.  It sure is a dangerous occupation, but these men have known nothing else and its in their blood.  Hey Ground cover  bet you enjoy an ice cream a Giappazzas (not sure of the spelling).
 ;) ;) ;)

groundcover

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 20:20:41 »
I know some of the Gillies, Chris is one of them ( don't know his wife's name ) but he used to manage the pub called the Fleet.
I'm from the Aitchison clan. My dad and his brothers used to run the fish yard right on the beech front next to the pier.
Your right about the ice cream ( still don't know how to spell the name of that place ) and what about the fish and chips- I can taste them from here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal