Author Topic: first harvest  (Read 9812 times)

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:first harvest
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2004, 18:23:40 »
Beautiful flowers Ina.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2004, 19:10:47 »
Lovely - but v difficult!

Could be candytuft, but isn't - could be chives, but aren't? - could be a lupin? - nearly ragged robin, but isn't? = Tim

PS That camera is doing you proud!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 19:12:03 by tim »

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2004, 19:16:54 »
Yes Tim, there are a couple of lupine and some chives and some false valerian but it's the white and lavender ones I wonder about and the dark pink ones. I'll have to try the dictionary.
Even with my totally clogged up 'cold' nose I can smell them.

Yessssssssss, one is Ragged Robin and the others are Hesperis matronalis (if that means something to you). A very easy plant and blooming all over the lottie at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 19:21:57 by ina »

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2004, 21:42:36 »
Ina,i see some gillyflower<koekoeksbloem> isnt it?

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2004, 22:47:19 »
Yes Ruud, it's the dag koekoeksbloem, I looked it up and it said Ragged Robin not gillyflower. Maybe it's the same thing.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2004, 02:22:41 »
Google references tell me that gillyflower is a common name given to various plants in the dianthus (Caryophyllaceae) family. Ragged Robin is a common name for Lychnis flos-cuculi which is in this family. They probably are the same, ina.
Hesperia matronalis is called dames rocket in English, or, rather U.S. English, so is not that different from your word for it. It is an invasive over here and is flowering everywhere presently.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2004, 09:54:17 »
Don't you just love the different common names for flowers? I often wonder where certain names came from and why they were given. Next time I have a bunch of flowers from the lottie I will put them on the non-edibles and see what we can come up with.

So far we have:
Ragged robin or gillyflower, in Holland it's called the day coo-coo flower (dagskoekoeksbloem).
Dames rocket we call the damask flower (damastbloem) or night violet (nachtviool).
Also in the vase was the Centranthus ruber, the Dutch common names for this are false valerian (valse valeriaan), red valerian (rode valeriaan) en red spur flower (rode spoorbloem). Does anyone know the English common name for this one?

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2004, 21:29:00 »
Strange i have looked it upeither,must be a different dictionary or gillyflower is the american name for it.

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2004, 12:32:26 »
Ah well if we are talking about the FREE harvest, I have already made nettle soup (in April) and harvested my first morel!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2004, 23:08:38 »
Just realised I can put something on this thread at last - made rhubarb crumble from my first picking (pulling?) of the year.  Lovely. :D

Before it we had a quiche which had lots of last years leeks (chopped and frozen) so maybe still counts. ::)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2004, 08:40:21 »
Broad beans - Aquadulce sown last November in a all glass cold frame placed over them in the garden. First picking yesterday!

As a comparison I planned 12 in the frame, 12 just outside it, 12 in modules in the frame - to plant out later, and 12 in modules in a frost free greenhouse.

The ones in the garden are podding up now to follow the ones in the frame.

Those in modules did spectacularly and rapidly out grew their containers

Phil

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2004, 11:52:13 »
Lettuce, radish, broadbeans and leeks! Then of course there is basil, oregano, mint and parsley.  How cool is this allotment lark!!  Plus, my kohl rabi are about the size of tennis balls, so another week or so and we will start on them, and my onions are getting huge, so I shan't have to buy anymore of those from the supermarket!  I wonder what my garlic is like under ground as my onions are so big....tempted to dig one up and have a look.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2004, 12:00:07 »
EJ

Leeks is cheating unless you have grown them this year!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2004, 12:13:44 »
Try a garlic, Emma & eat it green if it's not ripe - if you've got plenty - lovely!  What sort are they, to be ready this early?? = Tim

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2004, 17:21:01 »
Picked a ripe strawberry last night on plants outside in 3" pots in the garden awaiting shipment to the lottie....just the one strawberry mind you.   :D

Broad beans are looking good .... got my eye on those for Thursday's dinner!
AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2004, 20:07:04 »
Harvest today a nice bucket full of strawberries,sow at the same time that it dont take long before i can take my first red currents.They colour already.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2004, 20:13:32 »
we pulled a garlic on friday (ivory) and it has got a big bulb and you can see the cloves forming inside it, tasted great now though!!

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2004, 20:56:01 »
Oh, Ruud, a big bucket of strawberries  :o - I was going to report that I had my first two really ripe really big strwaberries!! Lovely they were too  ;D regular pickings of lettuce elaves tho - and flowers.  I'm happy.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2004, 21:37:44 »
I have harvest my first sugarsnaps,now a need some carrots to make a fine dish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal