Author Topic: first harvest  (Read 9815 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:first harvest
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2004, 20:21:56 »
I'm picking radish and lettuce, all from this years seeds. Spuds are too tall to cover any further. Lots of strawberry flowers out.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2004, 21:40:29 »
Hi everybody,went to my allotment and harvest my first iceberg lettuce,some curled endive,paksoi and tatsoi and some springonions,it is great to have your own greengrociers.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 23:17:19 »
Lucky you in Holland, nothing remotely ready in our plot yet.  Lots of green berries, strawberry flowers, the spring onions are only showing their first thin leaves and the lettuces are only starting to stiffen up and put on a few more leaves - tho the first lot have been planted out a couple of weeks now.  Still you must be a good 500 miles further south so our turn will come  ;)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 23:28:21 »
I haven't harvested anything yet. I think by next week the first lettuces will be ready. Green strawberries on the plants and the fall sown aqua dulce broadbeans are about 10 cm long, we put the nets over both today. I saw the first of the black birds that come in groups and can ruin a whole broadbean patch in one night.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2004, 10:54:22 »
Still picking at the Fristina, which has been standing since October, Spicy Salad, chard - that's it. Other than ratatouille & peppers from the freezer. Must try harder!! = Tim

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2004, 11:27:15 »
Like Tim I have chard and some loose leaf lettuce of various sorts + herbs. We have just had the first courgettes from the greenhouse and the cucumbers are nearly there. And a strawberry!

Jeremy

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2004, 16:16:32 »
I've been eating earth - by mistake of course - as I frantically dig beds and plant things ridiculously late (my onions grown from seed went out on Monday night!)

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2004, 18:13:33 »
db - so when did you sow the courgettes & cus?? And is it a heated house? And you have to hand pollinate the former??

Only recently dared to put mine out into a cold house. = Tim

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2004, 10:34:22 »
Tim, too early :) -without checking I think it was probably March sometime (maybe even Feb). The greenhouse isn't heated (or even insulated this year) -the problem at the moment for the cucumbers is too much heat. B****r, just remembered I forgot to open it up this morning and the supplier only sent me one autovent instead of the 2 I ordered :'(
I used the scientific method of "they've got too big for the windowsill -they'd better go in the greenhouse' to determine planting out times.

The courgette doesn't need to be pollinated (by me anyway), I got it from the Organic Gardening Catalogue to quote them :

"A unique variety which can pollinate itself meaning that it can produce fruit early in the season and in cool weather. This also makes it ideal for growing under cloches . Beautiful glossy dark green fruits. "

Pauline Pears was quoted in the catalogue as growing it in her greenhouse, so I thought I'd try it, so far so good -although I think they will probably get too big.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2004, 11:03:49 »
Picked my first crop of first early potatoes yesterday!! WHOPEE!! They were lovely smothered in butter and cooked with mint ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2004, 11:18:56 »
db - so NOW he tells me!! Partenon. Too late , I'll have to hand pollinate mine.

If you want s/p french beans, Hunter does it's own thing. = Tim

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2004, 11:55:51 »
Purple carrots - got mine from Tuckers. They have a different purple variety on offer in 2004 to the one in the 2003 catalogue.

First harvest - my son decided it was time to pull one of my overwintered red onions. It had started to bulb up. It was rather tasty raw  ;D

Two varieties of overwintered broad beans are doing rather nicely, and shouldn't be too long before harvesting  ;D (on the overwintering veg front, bought some more broad bean seeds and some peas).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2004, 16:08:56 »
I've been eating earth - by mistake of course - as I frantically dig beds and plant things ridiculously late (my onions grown from seed went out on Monday night!)

Ten x

Tenuse,

I have also grown my onions from seed but am not sure if they are big enough to plant out.

How big are yours? (in the nicest possible way of course  ;D  ;D)

Debs

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2004, 16:31:15 »
Mine have got three true leaves which is when my book says to plant them out! (The seed packet says April!)

they are not very big, but I can see a difference in the colour of the bulb-to-be - I suppose you could describe them as half the size of a shop-bought spring onion?

I went up to check on them last night and they are all looking pleased with themselves.

However I pricked them out into paper pots a month or so ago and I have planted them pot and all so that they don't have another check, if you transplant yours and have to take them out of their pot they will probably have a brief "pause" before they start to grow again.

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2004, 17:08:51 »
With any luck, this weekend fresh broad beans! Lekker met gebakken spekkies (tasty with fried out bacon bits). Got to teach you guys some Dutch you know.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2004, 17:26:40 »
Can taste it from here! = Tim

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2004, 01:00:16 »
i harvested my first ever veggie - lettuces. 4 sorts. yippee

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2004, 19:20:38 »
My first chinese cabbage is this week harvest ready.They form a nice shaped head all by them self,do have to ask with variaty it is.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2004, 01:12:24 »
Vermont is reputedly inhabited by unreformed tree huggers. At the risk of sounding like an unreformed tree hugger I harvested my first 'wild ' collected snack today- the tops off some Chenopodium album (Good King Henry in the U.K.?/Fat Hen over here). Black aphid free! I have to wonder why this is no longer considered a crop?

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2004, 18:14:58 »
This is my first harvest this year. It shouldn't be under edibles but we were talking harvest, right?
These are very common flowers but I don't know the English names for some of them. Especially the white and lavender ones, we call them damast flowers and they smell so sweet.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal