Author Topic: dividing snowdrops  (Read 2415 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
dividing snowdrops
« on: February 05, 2007, 17:03:14 »
Can anyone tell me when the best time to divide clumps of snowdrops? I recently heard someone say it was when they are in flower.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: dividing snowdrops
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 17:33:43 »
If they are in your own garden then it does not really matter when you divide them as long as the bublbs are not out of the soil for too long. They are never really dormant so do not like being dried out. I diivide ours just afer they have finished simply because at least I can find them and  as sterile hybrids they do not set seed so I am not disturbing the cycle. Do not split them into single bulbs, they do like company.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 17:54:34 »
Guess what I have been doing today? splitting and replanting snowdrops.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 18:41:52 »
Snowdrops are one of the bulbs that really are best divided "in the green". If you look in almost any garden mag you will see them listed along with blue bells,winter aconites for sale in the green. This is soon after they have flowered, they will almost certainly flower next year but if you plant dry bulbs they can take a few years to recover.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 18:55:50 »
You can lift them now as long as they're replanted straight off. They mustn't be allowed to dry out at any time, but the best time to move them is really while they're dormant. They should be packed damp, and replanted ASAP. A nursery I greatly respect (Paul Christian) refuses to send them 'in the green' as they reckon it weakens them, and describe this tradition as 'nonsense'.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 20:11:25 »
Jf you can afford to buy from him you must be earning an awful lot of money.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 07:34:05 »
Not snowdrops, but I have been known to indulge in the odd plant that I couldn't get anywhere else.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 13:23:08 »
Have tried in vain to grow snowdrops for quite a few years! However last year I bought some "in the green" and at long last I have snowdrops!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 16:03:06 »
I was disappointed when the snowdrop bulbs  daughter-in-law bought me didn't come to anything. Eric (Palustris) kindly sent me some "in the green" last year. I was worried as they hadn't appeared when other members were saying theirs were in flower. Hey presto, I now have beautiful little snowdrops in flower. So pretty. Just things seem to be a bit later than other members. The aconite that Ceratonia sent me have just appeared where as Eric's are in flower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal