Author Topic: Rasberry Bush!  (Read 1648 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
Rasberry Bush!
« on: April 30, 2004, 18:38:20 »
I have just aquired an allotment that has a failry large Rasberry bush on it... It seems to been let to get a bit out of control but dont want to get rid of it..  Whats the best way to treat these.?  I was told a net when fruit starts appearing is a must if I want to keep the fruit.

Adam

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
Re:Rasberry Bush!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 18:46:42 »
hi there, i have raspberry canes aswell, all i do is give them a good cutting in march, cover with a built frame about 8ft high and cover with a net, 2 years ago i never realised what to do with them so i just left them, i got a good crop and when they were all nice and ripe the ruddy birds came ove and ate them on me!!! i've wisened to them now though.
                            Good luck anyway
                                Danny lewis
                                  ::) ;D ::)
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:Rasberry Bush!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 18:59:31 »
I have canes as well but they are summer fruiting.  I cut down the canes which have fruited as soon as I have picked all the fruit (and the birds have had their share).  Then just leave the new canes to grow and pull out/cut out the ones you don't want. In spring I trim tops to a manageable height.

I have supports and wires to keep them in line as far as possible.
Seems to work for me.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 19:01:13 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal