Author Topic: Beginner  (Read 3303 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
Beginner
« on: April 30, 2004, 15:29:58 »
Just a note to say hello to you all.. Managed to get myself a nice allotment in Chelmsford and looking forward to getting started over the weekend if the weather brightens up.. I think I may have left it a bit late this year but am going to give it a go... Grown a few tomatoes in the garden before and a few herbs and remember helping my grandad when I was a kid which still gives me great memories of the wonderful taste that fresh veg had that you dont seem to get with the shop bought goods..!  Anyway hopefully be able to add some sensible messages when I am up and running and have fell into some pits..! :P

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:Beginner
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 15:34:38 »
Good luck, you're only up the road from me (in Ingatestone), hope the weather lets up for you. What state is your plot in?

Jeremy

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 15:50:00 »
Hi Adam, think you'll find this a great site - no question seems to be too difficult/silly for the experts/enthusiasts here.  I've only been a member for a couple of months and find I pick up tips and reassurances all the time!  There's a good sense of humour too as you will see by some of the threads!

Megan
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 16:06:13 »
welcome! hope you manage to get a good start this weekend!

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 16:19:59 »
Hi ya Adam and welcome sure that you will enjoy the site as much as we all do.Good luck with your week-ends gardening dont attempt to do too much at once though.There's still time.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 16:48:07 »
Thanks all for the nice welcome!  I sure am looking forward to getting stuck in but as you say I will take it steady.... Derbex I am in Great Baddow and have a plot in Towerlands... The lady in the Parish Council gave me a plan so as I could go and look at the plot which I mis-read... The plot was very small which I thought would be a breeze but then one of the chaps down there showed me the real plot which was much bigger than I first thought.... OOOpps what had I let myself in for I thought.. The plot needs a good clear and somebody has told me to just get in a rotavator to save the digging... I am starting to think he may be right..!!  Thanks all again.

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 16:51:41 »
As to not doing too much too quickly!  I went and bought up my seeds and potatoes yesterday... I was intending to do a bit of everything.. ie,, Potatoes, Raddish, Cauliflower, carrot, sweet corn, Onion, beans & peas... Do you think this is hoping for too much?  

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 17:15:04 »
well that's not bad for one day's seed shopping but you're playing with the big boys and girls now - before you know it you'll have more seeds than you ever knew existed, it'll be an addiction - just ask aquilegia!

is it a full size plot? what kind of condition is it in? most people recommend not rotavating if you can help it when the ground is very weedy as you end up with more weeds than when you started, but lots of people do it and seem happy.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 17:24:30 »
Depends how much of each you bought :)

I'm no expert, but of that list most of them can be started in pots/modules which will give them a head start while you're digging. It will also mean they're bigger than the weeds when they go in.

Spuds should cope with the ground being fairly rough dug (at least mine seem to be) so you can get them in fairly soon. You can probably hold off sowing the beans for a few weeks if you want to.

Lastly, given that you're just down (up) the road -are the allotments anywhere near the High School?- people on my allotment tell me that you need to stay off it when it's wet, so given the last week this might not be the best weekend to dig. :-[

Now someone who knows something can put you straight.

Jeremy

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 18:12:26 »
H ha!  The plot does not look in too bad a condition!  I was thinking the same with the rotavator.... I may just help my weight loss programme by digging..

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 18:31:47 »
I do have a cloche so will probably do that if the weather dont break this weekend!  If its too wet will be a waste of time trying to dig..  I know the allotments you mean!  The ones down near Tesco/Moulsham school... My one is just off Baddow Road... A turn off just before the Beehive pub..!  I didnt even know they was there till the other day and have lived in the area for 10 years.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 18:39:14 »
Adam I would go with the digging every time! It is worth the effort and backache( a lot of us here would recommend radox!!) to get rid of the weeds ;D Rotivating can chop up some of the nasties into little bits, which then all regrow, can be a disaster!! Potatoes are great for clearing new patches, I have just chopped off the top few inches of soil before now, and bunged in potatoes!! The earthing up, digging out tatties etc, does wonders for your soil.
As for the rest of the stuff, get it going, and clear a small area so that you at least are growing something this year!!  Spurs you on for next year...Good Luck!!  Dottie P.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 07:37:57 »
Thanks for that! Will be down early tomorrow morning so will let you know how I get on!

nikonye

• Not So New ...
  • I love the smell of Radox in the morning
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 17:16:49 »
Well we are absolute beginers and this is our second week.We had a very bad hail storm early in the week and it was very very wet here in Beckenham so after being sunburnt one minute and frozen the next I think that we have had a taste of what we have let ourselves in for.I thought that my partner would say she was not interested but she saw the sun shining early this morning and woke me at 6.30 and we were on site at 8.15 and have just returned after 7 hours of bliss. I dont think she will be as keen in November, but I have got the gardening bug and I think she has as well. Can not wait for tomorrow morning, I will wake here at 5.30 and se what she says. ;D

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2004, 17:32:13 »
glad you had a good day, i've just got back myself. must be something in the air because my husband came and helped me today and he normally will have nothing to do with the allotment (my mad idea apparently).

is your plot in an ok state or is it bad?

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2004, 17:43:54 »
Talking of partners/spouses not being too keen.  When Bill had his first allotment I never once went to it.  then about 15 years ago he got this one and again I didn't set foot on it for the first year (not my scene I thought) but from the very first time I went I was hooked literally, now we are as keen as each other.  Maybe not the greatest experts or tidiest allotment but we are constant and dedicated and HAPPY!! ;D ;D
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2004, 18:22:41 »
You will sleep well tonight for sure..  I have been on shift for last 3 days so have had no chance to make a start!  But have tomorrow and Tuesday off so am determined to make an early start tomorrow.!  Not sure that my misses will be a willing helper but she may provide the tea!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2004, 22:16:03 »
Hi there Adam and welcome to this brilliant group....I'm now living in the Reading area but originally come from Chelmsford (my home town) and visit every few weeks still to my parents - going there again day after tomorrow.....I know just where you are on those allotments - I used to live in that area when my children were tiny (The St. Johns Road area) and my friend's house backed onto the allotments....it's a big site.....

I don't get into this group very often as I seem to be away an awful lot but they're so helpful and will try to answer any questions you have...I had lots of ideas of sowing so many things but like you, have had to clear a neglected lottie (mines half a one and enough for me) being an older, not so fit lady on her own  ??? have however managed to get shallots, onion sets (red & white) garlic, 1st early and 2nd early tatties - (sown this morning) up there at 8.30!!....Away again now all the week then the week after, going off on a week's cruise of the Norwegian Fjords.....but after that....must get down to more clearing and sowing seeds!!....good luck anyway....oh and you'll need the radox!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal