Author Topic: Pineapple  (Read 802 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Pineapple
« on: February 03, 2007, 17:01:05 »
Hi All,
I note a posting about a year ago regarding growing the above.
I am having a go. Could someone tell me how long new leaves should start to appear? My plant is looking a little shrivelled at the leaf tips. I followed planting instructions from the internet. It's in full sun on a windowsill/in a 10" pot/kept just moist in potting compost.
Help appreciated. :D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Pineapple
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 18:26:13 »
I grow these, and enjoy the fruits periodically.  Two things can happen.  The crown will root and new leaves will eventually start to appear from the middle of the plant, or the main plant will start to die back, but small baby plantlets will grow around the base of the dying plant.  I have had both happen, don't know if it is a variety thing or just chance.  They become very big indeed - and my biggest had a 5 foot span.  Plenty of water and food in summer months - they like it hot.  I also mist sometimes.  I periodically fill the central 'cup' of the plant up with water also, right in the middle, but not to often, and I let it dry completely out before ever thinking of doing it again.  If they are happy, once they are in full growth, they can produce fruit within 2 years.  Good luck.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal