Author Topic: Tench  (Read 2222 times)

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
Tench
« on: June 05, 2007, 00:18:24 »
Wanted to get a couple of green tench for the pond this last weekend and absolultey nowhere that we tried had any. Are they out of season or something??

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
Re: Tench
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 13:53:43 »
The reference to tench made me laugh and I'll tell you why! About 10 years ago I saw this large fish struggling in a small tank in a local store, so decided to buy it. I was told it was a tench and promptly called it Terry! It has always been a bit of a loner but doesn't seem to mind the other goldfish. Anyway last year I visted  a garden centre and asked what the large fish were and was told they were golden orfe. You guessed it, mine is an orfe, so I should have called it Oliver!

Sorry I can't help about the tench question.

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 22:05:29 »
Spooky,i bought 3 tench many years ago when i was still on my first pond.Two were golden and one was green. Never saw the green one after the first few weeks.I think he vanished into thin air! One of my golden tench got badly bitten by dragonfly larvae(that is why i hate them so much) but i still have the surviving one and he is about 15 yearsold.Absolutely beautiful he is .Swims very gracefully alongside the goldfish and rudd,and eats from the surface just like them.
Margaret

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 20:30:10 »
are they not sometimes sold as grass carp??? Black and bullet nosed?

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 03:38:02 »
No grass carp are very different to tench :) and yes they tend to only be available early in the season because people buy them so they sell out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal