Author Topic: Free rabbit control to all allotment holders  (Read 14000 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Free rabbit control to all allotment holders
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 12:43:20 »
Good point Bunjies; as I understand it there are, indeed, 'open' and 'closed' seasons for culling rabbits - as there are, indeed, for foxes?

bunjies

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 14:20:09 »
i dont know if vermin has a closed season as such, but there certainly ought to be.
thing is see (and not so bad lad, this isnt aimed at you as i guess you already know this) female buns only feed their kittens once or twice in 24 hours, the rest of the time they seal up the nursery and stay above ground so as not to attract predators to the nest. if people arent aware of this it would be all to easy to think that as the bun is above ground so much it hasnt got babies :(
on the other hand, if culling doesnt happen then myxi will wipe out 99% of the warren young and old alike. personally i feel that late autumn/winter is the time to pick off the old, weak, and diseased leaving a healthy smaller population for the following breeding season. any other time especially with the mild weather we have had, there will be babes underground.
when i get my lottie, if the buns are a problem i will use electric netting ;)
'blood sweat and tears really don't matter, just the things that you do in this garden'

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 15:41:00 »
Are you sure that electric fencing does not put humans at risk, so that someone will sue you for damage. ::) ::)

bunjies

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 17:43:25 »
Are you sure that electric fencing does not put humans at risk, so that someone will sue you for damage. ::) ::)

oooh i forgot about that! i guess i'll just have to fence it and bury the fencing!
'blood sweat and tears really don't matter, just the things that you do in this garden'

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 17:49:16 »
As I see it, 'Free Rabbit Control' is down to foxes and NOT some trigger-happy human with a gun license.

And the same goes for 'Free Fox Control'.

It never ceases to amaze me that people think it's their 'God' given right to control what happens in our environment without a second thought for the long-term effects of their actions.

My chickens, ducks and 2 pet rabbits were killed by a fox. But it's not THEIR fault! They were just doing what's natural. It's OUR responsibility to look after our domesticated animals.

Oh and I've had the usual lectures: "You weren't brought up on a farm were you?"

No I wasn't, but I like to see the wider picture of how wildlife and domesticated animals live and it seems like a better perspective.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 12:27:24 »
There is no closed season for rabbits or foxes - they are classed as vermin and may be killed, provided it is in a humane manner, all year round.

No longer relevant, but hunting had a closed season for foxes so that they were not hunted while with young. This was by tradition, not law.

I was brought up on a farm and have no qualms about shooting rabbits for the pot. After all, if you are not a vegetarian, the meat you eat meat doesn't grow wrapped in plastic on supermarket trees. But I think the energy/velocity required to kill a rabbit humanely (i.e. stone dead), with an airgun pellet would be on the high side for safety on an urban or suburban allotment and a rifle, even using sub-sonic .22 shorts, would surely be out of the question.

Good fencing is about the only way to keep rabbits out, although I believe they have quite an acute sense of smell so perhaps there's some substance that could put them off? Lion poo?

bunjies

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2007, 16:14:12 »
^^ totally agree with you hun.
i may be pet bunny woman extraordinare, but i certainly would not turn my nose up at rabbit stew. just so long as it isnt one of my 6 from the bunny shed :D
my father put a lot of meat on our table thanks to his 12 bore, i hadnt considered how powerful a rifle would have to be to kill a rabbit instantly. perhaps that where the ferrets come in?
anyhoo not rabbit for me or the dogs till next autumn. unless my friend needs to clear out his freezer again ;D

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2007, 16:47:38 »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Interesting thread. I note that a lot of 'anti' comments come from the feminine
side.
If one has the correct equipment and knowledge, as the original poster surely has, then there is no problem. The law is clear on where one can shoot an air rifle in relation to surroundings. I love rabbit meat, but as i said previously, local butchers won't sell it due to a 'parasite'. I will continue to kill vermin with my own equipment, for consumption or not.
As for foxes, the most inefficient way of dispatching a fox is by hunting. It's a game.
No, I live in the country & have done for many, many years.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

bunjies

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2007, 17:08:40 »
just in case i have confused peeps......
i am not anti rabbit culling, at all. i would far rather see numbers controlled than see hundreds of myxi rabbits lining up at the roadside to die. i dont mind culling for the populations sake, i dont mind hunting to eat.
what i am anti, is doing so in the breeding season when there are young underground who will starve to death.

telboy, would you be able to find out for me what the parasite is please?
i am a tad obsessed with rabbits but havent heard about this and would dearly like to find out more.
the only nasty parasite i can think of is encephalitozoon cuniculi but i have never heard of it being a threat to human health. the only other thing i can think of is pasturella which has killed a human, but it isnt a parasite :-\
i hope there isnt a new disease doing the rounds that can affect pet rabbits, vhd is terrifying enough :'(

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 17:09:37 »
You won't find this feminine side anti telboy.  My old man and brother in law keep the rabbit population under control at a  smallholding in Kent.  We have a freezer full of rabbit, lovely free meat and in a family of mostly meat eaters, it goes down well.

HOWEVER....I wouldn't want them on the allotment shooting.  There is a time and a place.  This is one of those sensitive subjects and I am going to leave the room now as I don't want to be shouted at.  :-\

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 17:57:20 »
No shouting from me either, and I'm quite capable of butchering, drawing & skinning them too. My reservation was of shooting them on an allotment site which was not closed for the cull to take place - a safety issue, is all.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 20:46:32 »
Thankyou ladies.
The issue of 'the parasite' is down to a 'rumour' passed by 'mouth'. The butcher involved shifts an one hell of a lot of meat in his excellent business.
You can imagine his problems if he had not withdrawn the 'offensive' product. I have to, now, go out & shoot my own rabbits, when I could save a lead pellet or two/not contaminate the ground in the event of a miss/ support the local economy etc.
Rumours, don't you just love 'em??? >:(
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 12:28:17 »
I'm a shooter also, air rifles and shotguns, target, clays and game.

Where I'm sure the original poster had every good intention...well sort of, as he got a bit funny toward the end and acted a little holier than though, he's certainly asking the wrong people.

The land is generally owned by the council, so they are the ones to give permission. Therefore, its them to get in touch with. However, if there is a lottie association person that could introduce said person to land owner because there was a problem, then I see no problem with that. I'd really be wholly suprised if the council allowed it though, as there's just too much human traffic at an allotment. True pest control can be done at night and the early hours, but I'm sure if there is a problem, the council would get a professional in.

I understand shooters asking though, as its extremely difficult to get land to shoot these days, and the only way to get it is ask. However, my opinion is that an allotment is not the right place to be shooting. Don't see an issue with ferreting though.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 22:13:51 »
I like roast rabbit, grilled rabbit,and in a stew,but not on my allotment. i garden organic and i cannot think of a more organic way of getting rid of them than with 2oz of lead between the eyes.I don't think for one moment that NSBL would come on ya allotments with all guns blazing shooting at all that moves,but do the job at dawn or dusk (with permission )when nobody is about(apart from the odd vandal)and set his shoots up carefully as not to hit anything or any body other than the rabbit.The fact that he as botherd to get insured tells ya he takes his shooting seriously.There is no deferents between a Caterpillar or a rabbit apart from i eat the latter when i kill them. ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 22:40:05 »
Well let me put this a different way,if you show up on my allotment with a rifle,or your ferret(they are not allowed by the way) I shall be very  upset, and I might add I have hunted moose, and bred rabbits for meat,so it  is not the bunny rabbit thing with this lady, I am all for foraging /hunting for food purposes, but not for sport and certainly not in the confines of the average sized allotment and apart from  the obvious dangers to people,kids,you might not see, or the chance that you might  pop a few greenhouse windows or worse still pop my pumpkins, I don't want my serene lottie days peppered with gunfire especially as it would draw a crowd of neer do wells who would be out there the next week with their air rifles and beebie guns.
And finally I don't think this is the place to advertise your business.Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 22:59:36 »
 :o You had a Moose on ya allotment :o :o... ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 23:05:42 »
No, I lived in Canada at the time,  you are making me wet my laptop...I meant laughing,   here moosey moosey. I have this picture of a big Canadian moose standing in my cabbage patch with a guy chasing it with a loaded gun and a ferret. and me throwing pumpkins at him.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2007, 10:58:56 »
Yeah right  ::) nearly had me going there...tut...i ask ya a ferret. ;)

Nots so bad lad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2007, 18:35:50 »
;)Hello thanks for some positive and negative feed back yep i can understand this been a sensitive issue yep  rabbits are now breeding like they do most of the year unfortunately if i am asked to cull bugs thats what it usually means farmers landowners want rid.Also i have acquired some permission from a farmer who,s rabbits are gong into a allotment for free veg so yes advertising on here has worked ;) Not all allotments are urban some are in remote country side areas surrounded by farm land also not all are council owned ;) AS i have stated before most rabbit activity is at night or early morning and control is done to st rick guide lines and  commen sense unfortunately because air rifles are not licenced a lot of idiots get hold of them and give responsible people like my self a bad press.In the right hands they are a quite discreet tool for dispatch of vermin.The kill zone with a air rifle on a rabbit is 35 yards. Also their is no close season though winter time is usually when they are in perfect condition and hunted .Most people eat meat so this post should not be so upsetting the differance i think it is too easy to have your chicken or roast beef done for you wrapped in cling film carton in a super market sit down some time and think how some animals are kept and what happens in a slaughter house. If you want bugs doing you Know where i am ;) 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal