Author Topic: 'Budget' Seeds  (Read 1842 times)

cocopops

• Acre
'Budget' Seeds
« on: January 30, 2007, 19:58:59 »
Fistly thanks for all the great ideas for planting my flower beds that were given on another posting I made.  I have printed them off, and looking through the  RHS Guide to see what I can use.

As I have mentioned before I have recently moved to Brittany.  I have loads of vegetable seeds given to me by my mum-in-law.  However, reading many, many posts on this site there are several things that I would like to grow, and even more like to eat :)

My parents are coming over next Friday and I was just wondering if there was any store offering reasonably priced seeds now ( I know Lidl, Wilko and Asda used to do them), or will I have to wait and have them posted over.  I can obvously buy seeds here but they seem much more expensive and limited in range.  My French gets me by day to day, but I am still at the stage that reading instructions in English would be easier.

Any advice would be appreciated.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: 'Budget' Seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 20:01:15 »
our lidl's still got some, netto's got a few, depends what you want  :)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 20:09:00 »
You lucky so and so-my French is rubbish but Mrs Cleo is fluent-seeds are cheaper over there-just give it a year or so and you will find places

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 20:25:18 »
Thank you manicscousers, I will ask my dad to pop down and see if they have any seeds their nearest stores.  It seems strange but I had a tiny garden in England that I could never fill because of bindweed and other such pests.  The boarders and beds we keep finding here will need alot of filling.  I am not sure what are in the flowerbeds at the moment (that I  have not killed in my attempt to clear them).  I will give my dad a list of vegetables seeds that I would like, and see what he can get.

Cleo, I say my French gets me buy (just the basics, but always using my manners) but I really wish I was fluent like Mrs Cleo :)  My husband is much better than me (now out visiting his new French buddy), but he will be starting work soon so the garden will be my domain.  I have been out there for days now as the weather is mild and love every minute of it.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 21:42:59 »
It may be worth you checking out this thread

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,27402.0

Its about a seed catalog. Dont know if it will be of use to you, but will be worth having to drool over even if the seeds are expensive ;D

cj :)

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:47:15 »
Hi, you might like to check out this link to a French seed catalogue

www.graines-baumaux.fr

Google can try to translate it for you and order a copy

Paul

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 14:42:03 »
Thanks for the replies.  I love looking at seed catalogues.

I have just ordered the the Graines Baumaux catalogue online.  Some of the mixed bulk buy, direct sew seeds seem a really good price. 

I need to cover quite a large area, and I am not sure what plants are already there. These sound ideal for the type of soil and sun that we have here, and will take out some of the decision making this year.  Next year when I know what plants we have I can plan around them, this year I just want colour!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal