Author Topic: How to store my seed spuds & onion sets?  (Read 1358 times)

Argiebargie

• Not So New ...
How to store my seed spuds & onion sets?
« on: January 24, 2007, 22:06:58 »
Hello fellow lottie people,

I have bought my lovely seeds spuds and onion sets, and my beds are dug (currently enjoying a nice coating of home-produced chicken poo!)  ;)

Where should I keep them until they're ready to go in? It seems clear that the sub-zro temperatures aren't gone yet......

Many thanks

Argie  ;D
Fighting the battle of Mare's Tail (constantly!)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: How to store my seed spuds & onion sets?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 22:35:17 »
Take the spuds out of their net bags. If the shoots start growing whilst in the nets, they may snap off when they are taken out - less spuds for you. Mine are laid out in veg trays in a shed with no windows.

Onion sets can be stored in the same way. If they start to shoot you can either bin them or plant them out even if it is early.... and hope for the best.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:54:35 »
our spuds are in egg boxes in the garage, (frost free), some of the onions were growing all ready so, I'm trying them in pots of compost and will transplant them , nothing to lose  ;D

Pigface51

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 17:25:31 »
Currently, my shed (garden, not plot) has two platsics trays - one has my first earlies in it ands one has my onion sets in it - both out of bags, just lazing about taking in a little bit of sun (not direct)...subjective to everything else I need to do to the plot*, I hope to get the sets into cardboard pots of compost this weekend, so that when they do shot up they are ready to go into a nice warm cloched bed....

*digging, digging & swearing at all the blooming couch grass roots I didn't get out last year...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 17:26:22 »
We use egg boxes for spubs then put them in the big cardboard trays that fruit is delivered to Supermarkets in and leave on top of the bedroom wardrobes.
 ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 14:38:31 »
I just leave mine in a cool well lit frost free place;

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 15:56:03 »
I'll be putting mine in egg boxes tomorrow in lottie shed. Don't know how to store the onions. ??? ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 13:59:09 »
My seed potatoes are in seed tray sized gravel trays on the bed in the spare bedroom, 40 to a tray, about 6 or 7 feet away from the window.

The radiator is set on frost guard only, and the curtains/blind have been left open so that they get optimum light. The window in this room faces west. They all seem to be chitting away quite nicely. All that remains is to prepare somewhere to plant them.

We only took over our allotment in October, and unfortunately within a week or so I damaged my knee, so have been unable to do much. Besides which it's been pretty wet for the last month or so.

The onion sets and shallots have just arrived, and they will be put in the same place, out of their net bags and in gravel trays also.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal