Author Topic: Running out of space .... already  (Read 4018 times)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Running out of space .... already
« on: January 29, 2007, 13:58:48 »
My half plot looked more than big enough when I took it on just over a year ago. Yesterday I went to measure up the area for growing spuds. I did some calculations when I got home (how to grow 90 seed potatoes in an area of 3.3 by 5.8 m) and have come to the realisation that I don't have enough space to grow potatoes AND squashes. So do I:

a) Give half of my seed potatoes away? Or perhaps even eat them ;D?
b) Go vertical with the squashes  8)? Sounds feasible for the Pottimarron, but less so for the Crown Prince and Marina di Chioggia.
c) Not grow squashes  :'(?
d) Get another half plot  ;)?

Answers on a postcard to PLOT 87.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 14:13:25 by dandelion »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Running out of space .... already
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 14:08:49 »
we grow our squashes up and some potatoes in tyre stacks, someone had dumped the tyres at the side of the road..they all seemed to do well  ;D, also some grow potatoes in black bins with holes in the bottom
eric says if you grow in raised beds, you can plant your spuds closer  :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 14:17:08 »
Oh dandelion, I've just done a similar check after getting some Anya seed spuds in the post today (forgot) :-[
And I'm giving away two dozen of my seed spuds - I share with a chum and it's my turn to buy this year ::)
Long term? Get another half plot. I have 2.5 plots just for me and No.1 son <supergreedysmiley>
Short term? Grow squashes up. The only reason I won't be growing up this year is because I'll be using squash to clear ground in the new half plot. Plus I want to see pics of people growing vertical squash this year! :)
Believe it or not, Crown Prince will climb and fruit if you give it a little help :o
Not grow squash? You're kidding! ;D ;D ;D

<whispers> Have you tried Buttercup squash - like smaller kabocha shaped Crown Prince - same creamy smooth texture, sweet dense flavour, but easier to manage with the cleaver and they are ideal for growing 'up'! PM me if you're interested ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 14:19:43 by supersprout »

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 14:21:46 »

<whispers> Have you tried Buttercup squash - like smaller kabocha shaped Crown Prince - same creamy smooth texture, sweet dense flavour, but easier to manage with the cleaver and they are ideal for growing 'up'! PM me if you're interested ;)

Yes, I have some Butterscup Burgess seed too  ;D ;D!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 14:24:02 »
sorted!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 15:56:56 »
I have exactly the same problem as you!

I thought I had loads of room, but after I had ordered all of the potatoes I wanted, working out where to put them has led me to put my name down for another plot......

Saddad has also kindly offered me an uncleared bit of one of his plots in case I don't get another plot in time to get the 'overflow' potatoes in.... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 17:29:19 »
hi

i have latched on to the idea of planting a pumpkin into my compost bin which a hot bed on top.

I think you should get another 1/2 a plot and if you cant do that grow upwards or portably in pots :-)

Cambourne7

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 17:38:34 »
Well, I've sent an email to the council to enquire about vacant plots. Hopefully I'll find one that's close enough to my existing plot, close to the water tap and not too overgrown!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 18:26:27 »
If you can cope with it I would get another 1/2 plot. Have just organised this myself, as wanting to grow some fruit trees.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 16:07:00 »
I spent some time on the plot today. Thinking that it really does look big enough to grow both squashes and spuds, I decided to measure the plot again. Turns out my plot is 3 1/5 m longer than I thought it was, so that gives me an extra 24.5 square m to play with  :o! So I should be fine with my existing plot for the time being. I will grow my smaller squashes on wigwams though.

Now I just need to do some furter calculations to see if I could squeeze in an extra 10 seed potatoes (Maris Peer in bags of 10 at Wyevale  ;)).

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 16:13:47 »
Bet you'll fill another half plot easily though.......... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 18:00:31 »
It's technically not my plot or any one elses we took half off the owner of 120 (My friend Mark) who wasn't able to keep up the plot (???) so we could make the turning area. It is held by the association... I want to create a seating/social bit there but his Lordship has greater Grandiose schemes to keep him busy!
 ::)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 18:24:18 »
You could try the Three Sisters planting method.  Squash on the ground, sweetcorn growing up and beans growing up around the sweetcorn - all in the same patch of land.

Squash also do well on the compost heap as cambourne7 mentioned. I've got a fair number of paths between beds that run into the plot edges so have managed to fil in the "dead end" of each path with a squash or courgette.  The only potential problem is that you need to keep training the squash away from your neighbour and back onto your plot! But, hey: needs must when every square inch counts.

Having done the potato maths too, I figure that a few of the 1st earlies will have to come out of the ground a little early to make way for a few of the maincrop row overspill. Is this an option for you?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 18:33:02 »
I practice a variant on the Three Sisters ... Bean wigwams next to the sweetcorn block, all underplanted with squash ...

Derek :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 20:22:58 »
All you lot who can put your names down for extra plots are so lucky. Nobody can have more than one on our site. Waiting list is too long for people wanting their first plot.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 20:25:33 »
UPDATE:  According to my new calculations I have 4 x 6 1/2  m to grow spuds, enough to plant all the seed potatoes I have bought and a few extra (Maris Peer  :) ). Plus I have 7 x 2 m available to grow squashes. I will grow the small ones (Buttercup Burgess and Potimarron) on a cane wigwam. And -this is the clever bit-  I'll make sure I'll grow some of my early potatoes next to the squash bed so that the big squashes (Crown Prince and Marina di Chioggia) can roam freely once the earlies have been harvested  ;D.  As a  long term plan  I will enquire to see if I can put down my name on a waiting list for a nearby half-plot.

Thanks for the 3 sisters suggestions :). I  may try this in the future. This year I won't be growing sweetcorn and the French beans will have their own (sizeable!) bed.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 19:22:04 »
It's technically not my plot or any one elses we took half off the owner of 120 (My friend Mark) who wasn't able to keep up the plot (???) so we could make the turning area. It is held by the association... I want to create a seating/social bit there but his Lordship has greater Grandiose schemes to keep him busy!
 ::)

Perhaps we could sneakily do something with it and he wouldn't notice?! I wonder how much we could get away with....... :-\

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 21:09:37 »
We make a "temporary arrangement" to get it tidy for the Open Day in June and Derby in Bloom judging and if of course you make a good job we could formalise it on next years rent book!
 ;D  ;D  ;D  8)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 11:18:54 »
We make a "temporary arrangement" to get it tidy for the Open Day in June and Derby in Bloom judging and if of course you make a good job we could formalise it on next years rent book!
 ;D  ;D  ;D  8)

That sounds very interesting........... ;D
I will think upon this further..... ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal