Author Topic: Well rotted horse manure  (Read 1224 times)

Mrs T

• Not So New ...
  • Digging in February!
Well rotted horse manure
« on: January 28, 2007, 19:50:25 »
I have recently got an allotment & as my hero Monty says..its all about the quality of the soil so I am attempting to improve it before planting  anything.  I am trying to do this organically.  If I apply well rotted HM is it organic, should I be concerned that the animals may have been injected with anti biotics, fed non organic food etc or am I being to cautious?
Any advice re organic allotmenting would be most appreciated.  :D

keef

• Hectare
Re: Well rotted horse manure
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 20:03:38 »
I dont think you'll ever be able to get manure, horse or cow, from a source that has'nt used any antibiotics, drugs and has only fed the animals organic feed. You might be able to get organic chicken manure, but i personally would'nt worry about it too much..
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 20:09:04 »
Hi Mrs T and welcome! We're newbies and have just taken on an allotment too.

I'd recommend getting your hands on a copy of Susan Berger's book 'Allotment Gardening, An Organic Guide for Beginners' - you should be able to find it in your local library, otherwise go to A4A's amazon shop & buy it there.  It's a good beginners guide (funnily enough  ;D ) and will give you plenty of info to get you started.

Of course, you'll find lots of friendly, helpful advice and answers here so ask away & good luck! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 20:52:03 »
I think it's a legitimate question to ponder and take a conscious decision about. My compromise is to go as far as I can with what's available. It would be very difficult to find 100% additive free wholly organic cow or pony poo and straw, and would possibly mean road trips of many miles. If I can use what's offered locally (or free!) I think it's a good decision, and supports my local economy and community. Your produce will be so much better than supermarket veg anyway, grow and enjoy! :)

Mrs T

• Not So New ...
  • Digging in February!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 07:58:06 »
Hi and thanks every one for your advice, its very appreciated.
I got the book by Susan Berger, and there was the answer on page 34!  The Soil Association recommends leaving farmyard manure from a non organic farm for at least 6 months before using.  And to avoid many road miles, I found a local stable giving it away on Freecycle.
What a wonerful website! Many thanx
Mrs T :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal