Author Topic: climbing roses  (Read 2097 times)

Halifax Town AFC

• Quarter Acre
climbing roses
« on: January 23, 2007, 18:25:59 »
My wife has bought two climbing roses today. my question is, would it be safe to put Horse Manure in the hole dug for the roses or is it too rich, would my homemade compost be better??

cheers Graham.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: climbing roses
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 20:22:55 »
roses are greedy, aren't they, does it depend how fresh the muck is ?

Halifax Town AFC

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 21:22:13 »
I don't honestly know,I just thought that if i put the maure in it might burn (scorch) the roots?
but am only guessing.
Unless i use my compost int hole and fork in some maure int top at soil.

Am off to bed now early start in morning.

speak soon Graham.

P.S Thanks for your replie. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 21:35:42 »
If you're not sure, plant them and put the manure round the roots around late April or May when they really get moving.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 21:52:19 »
dig the hole wider and deeper then you need.

add the manure ( at least 4-6 months old ) then add a thick layer of soil or compost with bone meal pop the rose in and then plant the rose on top.

It will find the bone meal and then put out more roots which will find the manure

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 21:20:20 »
dig the hole wider and deeper then you need.

add the manure ( at least 4-6 months old ) then add a thick layer of soil or compost with bone meal pop the rose in and then plant the rose on top.

It will find the bone meal and then put out more roots which will find the manure
That'll do nicely...! Just don't let the roots rest on anything but soil.
Oh! You already planted 'em...Mmmm. :)

Halifax Town AFC

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 17:46:08 »
Kenkew...

I havn't planted em yet,still in the containers.
I am building a raised bed out of marshallite (i think you spell it like that) and I will be putting them in the bed.
I am hopefully going to grow them around my window,make it look more prittier.
I have two little girls so our back garden/pation is a bit borning(just one big playing area,kiddy friendly)its very nice and tidy but borning, so this year as I say am building a raised bed and planting loads of veg/plants.
But the girls will still have loads a room for the bouncy castle/paddling pool etc or yer a BBQ ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 18:01:49 »
I know Halifax well and I know the sort of winters you can get. I would like to know which roses you have and what direction the wall where you intend to plant them faces.

Halifax Town AFC

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 18:13:39 »
An no winters are bloody bitter up int pennines.
My wall faces south, in summer months The Sun comes round about 10ish and stays all day.(lovley and warm-too bloodywarm!)

The roses I have bought are: EXCELSA CLIMBER (RED)......and....."ENA HARKNESS" which is also red but larger roses than the other one,keeping them int out house at moment a litle bit warmer..and the leaves are coming out now. ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 18:50:07 »
EXCELSA is similar to a a red Dorothy Perkins but with double flowers.. Grows to 10' and tends to ramble quite a bit, that's OK over a pagola but with careful pruning you'll be able to keep it in check.

ENA HARKNESS, Up to 15' by 8' across with double flowers, a bit faster growing than your Excelsa, quite perfumy and flowers right through the summer.

Your wall is a good place for them but don't place too near the window as they'll cover a lot of it up unless your planning on pruning 'a hole' around your window.
You only get one chance to put up a frame for them so make sure it's going to be a good one.

Put the roots in a bucket of water for a couple of hours before you plant them. Careful about keeping them in the house, if they dry out too much you'll loose them.
Put a bucketful of compost in the hole, with some bonemeal. Mix it well, it's good for new root growth. Put the plants in after teasing the roots apart a little. Back fill the hole with good soil, try to pack it well around the roots firming as you go. It's a good idea to top the hole off with a mulch to keep the moisture in and the weeds out. Wood chips are good for that. Give 'em a decent watering. Don't let them dry out, especially in the first year.
I take it they're in dry packets, not pots?

Halifax Town AFC

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 18:58:42 »
Thanks for them tips,thats the type of answers i need,thanks very much.

No not in plastic packaging they are in pots,I watered them on Sunday I have had them for just over a week.

I was going to use trelis for them to grow up.
Do you have to tye the plants to the trelis or do you weave them in and out??

look forward to your replie ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 19:13:56 »
Trying to weave them usually results in breaking the stems as one day they hav'nt moved, next they've gone past the bit you wanted to put them through. I'd try to catch them in time, but if you get a straggler it's not a big job to tie it in and catch the next bit of trellis.
With your plants in pots there's no rush to plant, but don't over-heat them and keep them away from cold draughts. I don't know what the growth is like so can't tell you about cutting back at planting time but you've probably got instructions with the pots.
Pruning is something else, but comes later.... :D

Halifax Town AFC

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 19:35:46 »
Kenkew it been a plesure speaking with you, again thanks very much for all your help.

I'am going to log off the site for now I have to bath my daughters,only aged 2 and 6.

Speak again soon.....Graham. ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 20:06:41 »
Nothing like baby bath time......... :-\
I used to bath 4 all at once. Send each down stairs wrapped in a towel to sit infront of a hugh fire.....ah!.....Almost as good as the old tim bath!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal