Author Topic: What to put in my new found flower beds  (Read 1360 times)

cocopops

• Acre
What to put in my new found flower beds
« on: January 27, 2007, 21:18:44 »
First of all I must apologise for having a screen name almost the same as an existing member.  I just used one that I have used before, husband being a Leo!  I will see if I can get it changed.

My family have moved to a house in Brittany with a big garden which used to be pig pens!  We have had a wonderful day today (with the little ones) finding flower beds that we though were part of the lawn.  I vaguely remember the the last owners telling us that they had flower beds in that part of the garden, but when we started to clear off the moss (and grass) we have lovely clear soil.

My parents are coming over from the UK in two weeks and I would love them to bring some seeds with them.  I would love something that will give loads of ground cover and is really vibrant.  I have had loads of advice from this site about growing vegetables, which is my priority, so I really need to know what I can plant that is easy to cultivate and leaves me time to tend to the veg patch.  We can get seeds here but they seem much more expensive and I would like something a bit different.  The garden gets loads of sun but we can water them daily.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What to put in my new found flower beds
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 08:45:50 »
do you want perennials or annuals, climbers like clematis, jasmine and honeysuckle would love the sun,
 have you got any trees or walls for them to grow up,
I love things like mesembryanthemum? spelling.. open during the sunny bits and cover the ground quite well, lavenders, we tend to stick with perrennials as they look after themselves when they're established,
 I also like  periwinkle , tall maltese cross, dicentra or bleeding heart's a beautiful plant
I'm not sure about seed for some of them,
hope this jumbled tirade helps a bit  ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:05:23 »
Perrennial  geraniums cover nicely although the colours can be a bit tame. Crocosmia can give some hot colours as will dalias. If it is nice and sunny go for some sea hollies the stems are as good as the blooms. Back of the beds sound good for canna and bears britches, some of these are hard to grow from seed but will divide if you have any friends that have them.

Brachyglottiss sunshine covers lovely and has an interesting foliage colour. Or just scatter loads of peony poppy seed. black and pink looks good together.

Halifax Town AFC

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:17:18 »
Buzzie Lizzies(Impatients) are very bright and they cover the ground well. ;)

Graham. ;)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 20:35:32 »
First of all I must apologise for having a screen name almost the same as an existing member.  I just used one that I have used before, husband being a Leo!  I will see if I can get it changed.

We're not very original,  are we  ;D? I think I spent about 30 seconds thinking up my name. I later discovered that there are 2 more members called  Dandy_lion and dandelions65, but they don't appear to be very active on the forum.

I don't know if it's possible to change name (except for setting up a new account). Anyway, don't worry if it isn't. Our avatars should help tell us apart!

Congratulations on your new garden in Brittany.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal