Author Topic: Birdwatch 2007  (Read 4051 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Birdwatch 2007
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 22:10:58 »
For the first time since I put 5 nest boxes up 3 years ago I have bluetit interest...I'ts only Feb in 2 days but there is interest.
First time I've seen bluetits in over a year in the garden.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 20:24:02 »
When it's Birdwatch time, the feathered beings in my garden KNOW how to recognise the signs:

ME peering through the window clutching a pad and a pencil (Ay up ... she's at it again!)

ME putting out more bread/seeds than normal (Don't fall for that one .. it's called 'entrapment' in police circles. Let's hide)

ME opening the net-window to the RSPB Birdwatch site (ERE! Come and look at this! Bill Oddie's after counting our tail feathers. Let's all fly around and confuse Trixiebelle)

And thus .... a map of UK birds is made by results submitted by humanoids.

Birds all over the United Kingdom with access to the internet (of which there are many) tune in to the results of the research in the Spring of 2008 and plummet out of their nests because they are laughing so much!

The official results usually read: 'A HIGH PREDOMINANCE OF STARLINGS IN THE NORTH EAST AND LOW NUMBERS OF SPARROWS"

The high number of sparrows in the North East give a 'high five' to the low number of starlings, laugh at the humanoids and they all return to their nests and watch Deal Or No Deal on CCTV

Never underestimate a sparrow OR a starling.

Thrushes are a bit more truthful but you never can tell.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 23:23:14 »
Everything seemed to go into hiding when I settled down with no.1 son to

'watch the birdies'

2 sparrows ( usually a dozen or more) 2 collared doves, 2 woodpigeons, 1

magpie, 1 robin, 2 blackbirds.

However today, 1 week later, I have seen the above as well as loads of

starlings, 2 bluetits, 3/4 great tits  ::)

Debs

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 17:20:42 »
we have the usual suspects, lots of greenfinches, dunnocks, robins, blackbirds, magpies, blue and great tits.  We were speculating that the lack of cold weather so far has kept the shy birds away - we've only seen a couple of long tailed tits rather than a dozen last year, no grey wagtail this year either.  Must be because they don't have to travel so far to look for food (we back onto the allotments). 

Then low and behold with the frost this morning, looked out and there was a bullfinch in the garden.  Happy happy :) :) :)

Joolieeee
Joolieeee

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 19:28:45 »
don't know why but apart from all the above, we have had approx 4 chaffinches and a wren, loads of starlings,and thrushes   :) love it  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 19:31:36 »
I had a 25kg sack of bird seed and 100 fat balls delivered yesterday so what's the betting I never get a bird in my garden again?   ;)  ::)  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 19:41:42 »
we've, in the last few days, had a SPARROW HAWK, a jay and a peid wagtail, never seen them before in our garden !! :o :o ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 20:28:01 »
Georgie.. did the snow bring the birds? I worry about my blackbirds as the starlings seem to bully them. Today I put some food by my back door and hey presto the blackbirds found it. All the snow has gone now.
Lorna.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 19:03:51 »
Saw a woodpigeon which was sitting on the lawn, didn't liik too well.

Got binoculars out ( like you do ;)) and saw that it must have gorged itself on all the food I'd put out, and seemed to have a whole peanut  protruding out of its throat. Left it alone, and the greedy b***er go tback up on the bird table to eat more!!

Still didn't look too good and spend periods resting on bird table before flying off to hide on ground under conifers.
Dog went in to garden and chased it out - flew into neighbours garden.
Hope its ok  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal