Author Topic: Birdwatch 2007  (Read 4143 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Birdwatch 2007
« on: January 27, 2007, 17:45:53 »
Thought I'd start a new thread for this year, hope no-one minds.   :)

Okay, I know my birds like a feed around 11am and again at 2pm.  As I was out this morning I decided to go for the 2pm slot.  I put a chair by the window, got the binoculars and bird book, found pen and paper, got myself a drink and settled down.  Then the ruddy cat went out the cat flap and sat immediately under the bird feeders for the next half an hour!  The form asks us to record how many adults and children took part but there is no space for cats!   ;)   ;D  Guess I'll have to try again tomorrow.   ::)

Gx

PS.  Here's the link for those who want it:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Birdwatch 2007
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 18:54:26 »
Georgie. I know I shouldn't laugh but your post just cracked me up. Sorry!!
I had the usual gathering, just two blackbirds. seven collared doves, two greenfinches, nine sparrows, fourteen starlings, one wood pigeon. Still trying to entice more of the finch family with niger seed. Maybe I will be lucky this year.
Lorna.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 19:42:43 »
LOL, I thought it was funny too.   ;D  Blimey Lorna, you did well, how on earth did you count 14 starlings at once?  Mine squabble dreadfully.   ::)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 20:34:49 »
Georgie. I know I shouldn't laugh but your post just cracked me up. Sorry!!
I had the usual gathering, just two blackbirds. seven collared doves, two greenfinches, nine sparrows, fourteen starlings, one wood pigeon. Still trying to entice more of the finch family with niger seed. Maybe I will be lucky this year.
Lorna.
No Partridge in your pear tree?

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 20:39:52 »
LOL@Ken.   ;D

G x

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 20:51:17 »
kenkew. Oh I wish :)

Georgie. I moved the feeders a little bit away from each other. I have counted up to 20 when I have thrown out some bread as well.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 20:58:02 »
Hey everyone, Lorna has learnt to count up to 20!!!

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

G x

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 22:21:28 »
Georgie. I don't want to brag but I have always been good at maths :) ;D

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 09:33:26 »
Ah, yes, Lorna - but can you do it with your mittens and socks on?  ;)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 10:35:26 »
when the sparrow count got to 11 it was chaos so well done counting that many starlings!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 10:57:33 »
OH has decided to prune the apple trees, so I think I might not get my count done, boo hoo! :(

On the subject of starlings, we have one that visits regularly.  I find this strange as I thought they always came in gangs.  I wonder if this one got left behind at some point, it is a bit sad.  And how will he find a mate if there are no others around? :(

T.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 13:54:05 »
Grandma Oh dear, now you have found me out ;D. My bird feeding station does have long "arms" and the birds often sit on them waiting to dive on the feeders. This morning I also threw some bread over the lawn  and managed to count 15 starlings (honest!!) I had already sent my results in on line and as I have said I don't like to brag about anything ;D

Georgie. How did your birdwatch go? My nyger seed seems to have gone down a bit but I think it is probably the wind blowing the feeder and shaking some seed out. I can't understand it, one of my daughters now lives 2 streets away from me and they have loads of different birds in their garden. They don't even put food out for them.
Other than the greenfinches that visit I have never seen any other finch in my garden :'(

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 14:30:49 »
Lorna, have you any trees in your garden other than the conifers?  The goldfinches do not sit in the evergreens in my garden but the sparrows do.  I have an elder and the finches much prefer that.  You could try growing some of the ornamental thistles such as Coneflowers (Echinacea) and leave the seed heads on.  Once the goldfinches have found you they will come back again.  ;D ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 15:16:02 »
Pauline All the conifers are gone (at last) except for a few behind the sun room and greenhouse. It was too dangerous to try and remove those. Lorna has a small tree iin her garden, no idea what it is but I do see quite a few birds there. There are quite a lot of large trees dotted along the grass verges on this little estate. We can live in hopes just wish my son-in-law wouldn't keep telling me about the lovely birds he gets in his garden. Will have to stop making him cups of tea when he comes round ;D
Hope you are well.
Lorna.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 21:18:45 »
Georgie. How did your birdwatch go? My nyger seed seems to have gone down a bit but I think it is probably the wind blowing the feeder and shaking some seed out. I can't understand it, one of my daughters now lives 2 streets away from me and they have loads of different birds in their garden. They don't even put food out for them.
Other than the greenfinches that visit I have never seen any other finch in my garden :'(

Well how exciting is this?  1 robin, 2 wood pigeons, 7 sparrows and 7 starlings?

G x

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 22:23:06 »
Georgie. Really jealous of your robin.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 22:28:22 »
Sorry, Lorna, but I'm not sharing!   ;)

G x

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 22:54:10 »
Guess what landed during the count, a Heron.....  took off pretty d**n quick when the curtain twitched tho.   I did have other birds as well but no tits at all and only 1 Starling.   ;) ;)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 20:42:11 »
I was just about to input my results and I see that my OH has been 'doctoring' the form.  In the 'other species' column he's added:  Dodo x 4, Vulture x 3, Pterodactyl x 2 and Reliant Robin x 1.   ;D

G x

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 22:04:22 »
Well done that man - gave me a   ;D after a hard day

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal