Author Topic: Chelsea Flower Show 2007  (Read 6456 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Chelsea Flower Show 2007
« on: January 25, 2007, 17:11:17 »
Hi

Looking to go on one of the RHS member days,

http://www.rhs.org.uk/chelsea/2007/index.asp

Whos going this year?

Cambourne7

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Chelsea Flower Show 2007
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 19:36:26 »
We were put on a short list for courtyard gardens just in case anybody drops out, so still waiting.  But I will be there on members day as a spectator if we don't get a place.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 22:45:14 »
I got tickets for my birthday for the Saturday when apparently they sell everything off so hoping for some bargains!  Never been before but always watched it on the telly & I'm really looking forward to it. 
Do you  mean you might be building a garden there Ace?  How exciting [tho scarey].  When will you know?  Do let us know what happens.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:15:37 »
Got my tickets for the first day several weeks ago.........& Hampton Court. How organised is that!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 09:06:19 »
I arranged a 3 day pass with OH and bought my tickets for the first memebers' day at Chelsea the week they went on sale.   Can't get to any of the others this year but would like to Malvern and Tatton one year.
Obxx - Vendée France

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 09:58:21 »
I 'd love to go to Chelsea this year.
I've never been though I've lived in London for 18 years! So when's the best time to go (I don't like crowds)?

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:20:58 »
I'm going on the Saturday with my mum.  Really looking forward to it, although not so sure about the crowds!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 11:13:01 »
Ah yes, the crowds.......

I went to Chelsea regularly for about 10 years, but I haven't been back for about 6 years now.

I had an awful experience when I took my grandmother (her first visit) in a wheelchair, on one of the members days. I was appalled at the behaviour of some people, shoving in front of my grandmother after we had waited patiently to get to the front of a stand or showgarden, and just standing there. Lots of women with their planting plans and gardeners in tow, braying loudly that that would do nicely for their town garden....it was a completely different experience from previous years, and totally put me off I'm afraid. I now watch on the telly! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:40:42 »
I went to Tatton last year that was the same full of ya "all furcoat & no knickers" brigade shoving & pushing.Sat down for a coffee at a table with 4 chairs when this woman(you know the sort "me and the queen don't fart")came across and demanded i move so the 4 of them could sit down.And how do they justify the entry fee,the money they must make, no think i will give it a miss and stick to going to local plant fairs much nicer. :(

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 13:00:23 »
Haven't yet been to either, but friedns have suggested that teh Hampton Court Show is much more pleasant?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 13:10:06 »
I went to Chelsea last year after a 15 year break and was pleasantly surprised.  The limited numbers per day makes a real difference and, as it opens at 8:30am you could get round and see the most popular features by midday and not be squashed.  The only place I had to queue was to see Chris Beardshaw's garden and that was only about 15 minutes.  There was a lady in a wheelchair and he invited her in for a closer view and a chat.  After lunch they had queuecontrol systems in operation.

I've never come across the snooty element mentioned in other posts and have to say good and bad manners are not confined to any particular stratum of society.   As for the cost - they have to cover the use of the land, the setting up of all the facilities and security, insurance, services, publicity, staff on the day and to prepare it all, more staff to restore the place to how it was before the show......
Obxx - Vendée France

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 13:39:11 »
my mum and I went to Chelsea in 2003 and it was the first time for both of us (her birthday present). it was lovely but SO busy, people people everywhere and no escape! if they've since restricted numbers I'm sure it's much better.

we went to Hampton Court last year and we both much preferred it. because the venue's bigger there don't seem to be as many people and we got to see every garden, something we didn't manage at Chelsea because of the enormous queues. the marquees were much less busy too, they were horrendous at Chelsea.

apart from the gardens, and the thousands of loverly plants and plant-related things to spend your money on, the best bit was sitting down on the grass eating freshly cooked fish and chips with a Frank Sinatra sound-a-like serenading us from the bandstand!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 09:06:31 »

I've never come across the snooty element mentioned in other posts    As for the cost - they have to cover the use of the land, the setting up of all the facilities and security, insurance, services, publicity, staff on the day and to prepare it all, more staff to restore the place to how it was before the show......
[/quote]
Ya must of seen them big hats dark sunglasses small nervous looking husband in tow  ::),still think £30 plus for the the privilege of spending more money is to much. :(

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 21:32:57 »
hmm, I was quite keen to go, but not sure now I've read the above threads ... I'm not a member, so would need to go on a public day - are they more crowded ?

My OH is a photographer and he thought he might try and get a press pass for the day ... although don't think he's done anything about it yet.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 11:54:07 »
I think the numbers allowed each day are the same whether members' days or public.  The trick is to get there early in the day.  Most people who buy the all day ticket seem to tun up between 10 and 11 am and then the half day people pile in from 3:30.  If you get there for the 8:30 opening you could see the whole lot with no crowds at all.

It has to be worth going at least once in your life if you're mad on plants and gardens.
Obxx - Vendée France

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 12:41:37 »
  If you get there for the 8:30 opening you could see the whole lot with no crowds at all.

It has to be worth going at least once in your life if you're mad on plants and gardens.

Will have to plan this strategically : buy ticket, ask OH to take kids to school, arrive at 8.30 am ;D!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal