Author Topic: Anyone using a Big Drippa?  (Read 2282 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Anyone using a Big Drippa?
« on: January 25, 2007, 11:18:21 »
I'm thinking of getting a Big Drippa or two for my greenhouse plants next year, as I don't get up to the plot every day in the growing season. Because my plot slopes from North to South, I think I can run an interconnected set of water butts to feed it.
Does anyone use this system, and can you advise me on pros and cons? Or have you investigated and thought better of it? ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Anyone using a Big Drippa?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 12:47:14 »
we're thinking of an under soil watering system, with a soaker hose, for the poly, again, thinking it can be attached to water butts, also could do with an overhead sprayer for when  ??? it gets very warm,  so, what's a big drippa, ss, anything like ?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 13:08:57 »
It's a very simple system, like a hospital drip for veg, runs on gravity!
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/Watering_Self%20watering%20Products/GWT-007.htm
Each bag takes 10l water, which means one fill from the communal tap or the hose going direct into the plant pots via tubing. It came well out of the Consumers' Association trials in terms of cost and ease of use :P It's also very ugly so I would hope it wouldn't attract two-legged predators.

The leaky pipe or whatever it's called came out well too :)

It would be good to hear from someone who's used one!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 13:21:36 »
ah, steve had one of them for his tomatoes and peppers in growbags, he seemed to have a good crop from both  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 13:32:43 »
I was going to try and make a larger scale system using my water butts and pipe :-)

got for it!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 14:32:17 »
you wouldn't be encouraging me to spend money on the plot now would you cambourne? ;)
I'm VERY tempted :P

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 20:43:22 »
i was thinking of trying one as well SS.  trouble is i'd need 4 for what i've got planned!  another 40 smackers  :'(

however, if this thread gets positive feedback i may throw caution (and 40 notes) to the wind and splash out.

watching with interest.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

urbandruid

• Not So New ...
  • It's all about the light...
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 08:45:36 »
Hmmm, that gives me an idea for a slight alternative:

Wheely bin with a tap fitted at the bottom, sited at back of greenhouse (precious space used but may work out to be worth it, could even be behind greenhouse with a bit of ingenuity).  Splitter attached to tap leading to 2 lengths of hose running along sides of greenhouse, pinholes in hose (pointing downwards) with bung in the ends to seal it.  The tap controls the pressure and can be opened more as the level in the bin drops to keep an even flow.

Would it work?  Also, would the pressure be sufficient to allow upwards flow of the water for plants on shelves?  :-\

Intrigued,
Steve.
Peruse my allotment diaries here!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal