Author Topic: lunar gardening  (Read 1787 times)

sea chelles

• Quarter Acre
lunar gardening
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:43:14 »
does anyone here plant by the moon? and does it really work?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: lunar gardening
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:53:54 »
Hi sea chelles, if you search on this site for 'moon gardening' you'll see loads of debate about gardening by the moon. Is it a way of cultivating that you've done, or are thinking of doing? ::)

sea chelles

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:58:56 »
i havent done  any yet i saw it on the big dig and it seemed to work for one lady?!
thanks for the tip i will do a search now! :D

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 17:06:07 »
Hi sea chelles can you pass any info you get please  :) :) I am very interest too!! ;D

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 17:22:44 »
I use the "Gardening & Planting by the Moon" book/calendar and I always seem to have healthy, happy plants (that's not counting the ones that get slugged), but I have no way of knowing if it's just luck or lunar influence, as I've always used gardened that way. So does my Mum and my Gran did too. Having the book just makes it easier to know what or when to plant or harvest.

The plant nursery where my Mum used to work for years always did their sowing and harvesting according to the lunar calendar. The chrysanthemums that they used to grow as cut flowers for market were absolutely amazing and Don always used to say it was the Moon that did it. He was often to be found in the greenhouses at moonrise or set to get the best energy for the plants.

I will be down the lottie tomorrow whatever the weather as it's a really good day to plant fruit trees and I want to take advantage of that.

Mind you if it's like it was today, I'm going to be bl**dy freezing!

Tabby

sea chelles

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 17:25:56 »
yeah cool of course i will i found this earlier
http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/default.asp
 i thought it could be quite useful. my husband has just come home from work and when i told him about planting by the moon he laughed and called me a hippy! he'll be laughing on the other side of his face if it works!  ;D ;D ;D ;)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 17:33:49 »
Thanks sea chelles have added the site to my favorites and will try and use it and see what happens

Thanks again BB ;D

GrowingChillis

• Half Acre
    • GrowChilli.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 17:34:12 »
Is lunar gardening the same as Bio-Dynamics?

I saw something on a prgram and have read on the web about Bio-Dynamics,
seems similar, but dont remeber reading anything about doing planting
by moonlight!
My Chilli Website - GrowChilli

UK Plants & Seeds
- ebay shop - 15% discount for A4A member

feedback welcome

sea chelles

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 17:38:43 »
http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/MoonPlanting.asp this might help, i don't think i will pretend to understand it though!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 17:50:03 »
Gardening by the moon? Hope this helps

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 18:42:26 »
Like your style  ;D Merry Tiller !!!

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 22:17:05 »
Is lunar gardening the same as Bio-Dynamics?

I saw something on a prgram and have read on the web about Bio-Dynamics,
seems similar, but dont remeber reading anything about doing planting
by moonlight!

Yes its much along the same lines. It's just a bit less complicated! Planting by moonlight is taking things a bit far even by my standards! My OH thinks I'm a mad hippy, too. More importantly, I'd be petrified down at the lottie in the dark!

Mind you lots of the old school gardeners and farmers used to do it. RJ Harris who was the head gardener at one of the famous Cornish gardens used to do just that - he's even written a book about it. The French farmers use lunar calendars as well.

My Mum, who grew up in the same Somerset village as I did, says she remembers the harvesting going on all through the night when the moon was full in September time. It was for several reasons, the light was good enough to work by, there was a huge amount of crop to harvest but also the farmers used to say that it was the best time to pick for both the plant and the produce.

I'm off to light my joss sticks now  ;)

Tabby x
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 22:19:11 by tabbycat »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal