Author Topic: Globe artichokes.  (Read 2072 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Globe artichokes.
« on: January 25, 2007, 16:45:48 »
Hello,

bought a bag of Globe Artichokes from Wilkinsons today. Most had already grown shoots about 2 inches long, which had withered. I found a pack where there was only a tiny bit of new green shoot visible. I have put them straight into pots and will put them somewhere light and cool, until the weather gets milder.

Is this the right thing to do ???

cj :)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Globe artichokes.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 17:15:31 »
Just a thought-do you mean Jerusalem artichokes?. If so they are as tough as old boots and could be planted out as soon as the soil is frost free.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 18:11:21 »
No, Jerusalems are the ones that look and act a bit like potatoes. Globes look like thistles, and you eat the flower bud before it opens.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 18:44:38 »
Cleo once said globe artichokes were tough, and he was right! What you've done sounds right.
Big pots though - globe artichokes have an enormous root system and don't take kindly to containers. Plant them out as soon as you think the worst of the low temps is over, to give them a chance to get well established this year. If in doubt, fleece or protect with straw :)

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 19:03:39 »
I have 3 plants on the lottie, which have been planted about 3 yaers, but have not had much of a crop yet - any advice?
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 19:14:36 »
Do they not take 2 or 3 years to harvest.  :-\ :-\ ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 19:40:54 »
sorry i'm  a bit confused... i thought globes were sown as seeds and therefore wouldnt sprout!  Bags of JA like pots would sprout???

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 20:18:36 »
Here goes ;) come on 'choke experts give me some backup here :P

Globe artichokes can be propagated in two ways; from seed or from slips (offcuts with root from the mumma plant)
Whether grown from seed or slips, 'chokes will flower in their first year - if you let them.
You can also buy whole plants - at this time of year they shouldn't have leaves, just a brown root with a couple of green shoots just showing. The warm weather seems to have delayed leaf drop - the frost over the last few days should kill off the leaves.

SEEDS

Seeds can be sown in early Spring or in Autumn, when they would naturally fall off the parent plant. When grown from seed, 'chokes can be grown as annuals (e.g. in areas where the plants would not survive severe winters) or as short-life perennials (e.g. in temperate zones)
If you are growing globe artichokes as short-life perennials, you would want to cut off the 'chokes when they sprout so the plant can put its energy into becoming strong and healthy for the next few years' crops.

Advantages: Cheap, easy, loads of varieties to try. If grown as an annual, a sneaky way around cold winters.
Disadvantages: You will never know how productive the plant will be until it grows up. 'Chokes sometimes revert to more thistly and spiky plants. The difference between good and poor plants will show in the first year.

SLIPS

Slips (stem and root) would normally be taken with a sharp knife from the most productive plants, in Spring. The life of an artichoke plant is about 3-5 years, but lots of us have had plants for longer. If sown from seed as short-season perennials, you would 'officially' crop from Year 2, but you should get lots of immature 'chokes to eat in Year 1.

Advantages: taking slips is easy, and you can crop in the first year because the plant is already half-formed. If you have neighbours with good artichokes, they may let you take slips for free.
Disadvantages: The number of varieties for sale commercially is limited, and commercially sold slips are surprisingly dear.

I have 3 plants on the lottie, which have been planted about 3 yaers, but have not had much of a crop yet - any advice?

Might they be unproductive plants okra? Three would seem very bad luck though ::)
Globe artichokes are greedy and like lots of nurrishment, so I would mulch with manure and/or feed them. If that fails, I'd be tempted to sow some seed this January and plant out the seedlings in early summer, then next year you can select the strong plants that grew 'chokes in their first year and propagate on from there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 20:32:38 by supersprout »

poderosa

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 21:24:30 »
Globe artichokes take 2 years to reach maturity. I planted seed last year and have some excellent plants that will crop this year. Make sure that you pick them small then you can eat the choke at its best. Good luck! 

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 21:32:47 »
I planted 2 globe artichokes last year [actually planted 5 but don't know what happened to the other 3] & they grew quite well but no sign of flowering.  As you say SS the leaves were still standing but I suspect have ben got at by this cold snap.  Trouble is with our rearanging everything they are in the wrong place & I need to move them.  Do you think this is possible?  Or should I cut my losses & buy new plants? 

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 23:52:38 »
I grew 6 from seed last year, think the slugs got one, but the other 5 are growing well, however, now they're a bit bigger I need to space them a bit.   :-[ I let mine flower 'cos they looked so pretty ... and the bees liked them ....

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 05:11:24 »
I need to move them.  Do you think this is possible?  Or should I cut my losses & buy new plants? 

I suppose you could cover all the bases - split the two plants and replanting in Spring, and sow seed next month?  I raised 60 globe artichokes from seed last year, and will sow another 30-ish this year, several varieties. Any that haven't flowered by their second year will be discarded. The aim is to find out which varieties do well on the plot, and to take offsets only from these in future.

They really are a doddle to raise from seed :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:14:12 by supersprout »

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 09:09:43 »
Just be warned Caroline....I have found Globe Artichokes to be tender where I live in Northumberland....tried to grow them on the allotment for a few years....in first year the rabbits ate them to bits over winter and they died....then the next year they were protected by fencing but died in extreme cold...just went to mush.... think I would grow them on in pots and plant out when its milder in spring....AND mulch well over the winter in future. Would love to hear how you get on though....

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 11:28:29 »
It's not exactly the sunny south of England here in Wales either, so I'll take your advice, Squashmad

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 14:31:21 »
Good thinking SS - I shall do both.  Another question [just one!]. Are they supposed to flower in their first year.  Mine didn't but if I grow from seed will I get any to eat this year?  Thankk you :)

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 19:54:51 »
thanks for the advice guys. I will try feeding and mulching which I must admit I have not done
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 20:25:41 »
Good thinking SS - I shall do both.  Another question [just one!]. Are they supposed to flower in their first year.  Mine didn't but if I grow from seed will I get any to eat this year?  Thankk you :)

Yes and no ::) Some of them will throw up flower buds, which you're supposed to cut off to leave the strength in the roots :'(

If you want to try some as annuals and crop in the first year, sow in early Feb in heat, then move to a cold frame in March for a couple of weeks, then back into the warmth in early April before planting out . The idea is to give them a cold snap which fools them into thinking they've had a winter, crop in the first year, and compost the plants at the end of the season. I've never done this as I want perennials and fruit bushes to grow on the plot to minimise labour, and I DO love artichokes :P If I lived in Northumberland, I would definitely try this. Eliot Coleman Four Season Harvest has the details :)

Squashmad, my parents' house is in Acomb, near Hexham. That's where first took up veg growing Northumbrian-style :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 20:39:39 by supersprout »

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 00:18:47 »
Brilliant advice SS.  Thank you very much I shall definitely give it a go maybe treating some as annuals & others as perennials.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 08:19:32 »
Thank you MM, I'd love to know how your 'one year artichokes' do :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal