Author Topic: How much water storage?  (Read 1361 times)

Normie

• Not So New ...
How much water storage?
« on: January 19, 2007, 22:46:52 »
Hi,

I've just taken on an allotment. Unfortunately the site does not have any water supply, so all water needs to be via water butts. Anyone give me some pointers as to how many I'll need for a 10mx30m plot - would a single 210 litre butt be enough?

The site I'm at has fallen into disuse over the years (owned by the church not the council) - there are only 4 plots being used at the moment - one doesn't have any butts, one has 1, one has 2 and one has 3.

I really don't want to run short so would rather err on the side of caution. However, the cheapest butts I've seen are 19.99 for 210 litres. Any known cheaper sources?

Cheers,
Normie

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: How much water storage?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 22:55:59 »
We get 2nd hand Blue barrels from a local company.... we sell them to plot holders at £5 each. You can't have too many barrels if you can fill them.. until you can't find any soil that is...
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 22:56:29 »
The answer depends on how much watering you're going to do. Could you get enough organic matter to mulch everything? If so, you'd need a lot less water.

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 23:01:48 »
Try Ebay for barrels unless you can get them from someone else (do you live near saddad?) maybe some one else local has a supply?

Gary

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 00:21:01 »
If you have a shed on your plot put some guttering up and catch the rain, If not, build a plastic topped greenhouse, (dead easy...I got pic's).
How much water you need depends on your soil. It's suprising how less water you need than people would have you believe. If you have a water hungry crop, ok....you need water, but in the main, most regular crops don't need to be watered!

Normie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 13:55:17 »
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be putting a shed up within the next couple of weeks and will put up some guttering to catch the rain water.

My soil appears to be quite heavy clay, but judging by the other plots in use, seems to be quite fertile. So I assume that water retention should be quite good.

I'll start off with a single butt, and will try to source any freebie that I can to increase my capacity just in case.

Cheers,
Ian

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 15:44:02 »
I'm with Robert on this one!

Because I dig in a full load of farmyard manure each year I only water at sowing/planting time then the (outdoor) plants have to fend for themselves.

I'm curious??? if you have no water on the site how do the others fill their barrels?

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 16:52:17 »
during the summer essential watering only used about 8-10 watercans a day, which was the best part of 1/2 a barrel - although most crops did fine I'm sure I could of had better spuds n onions if I would of watered more.

I know have 30+ barrels which will give me 60 days emergency watering if i water every day.
This is for 650 square yards but some of that is sheds paths etc.

My advice would be to work out how many rows of veg you will have - how many cans you will need to water these rows so how much you need a day. Then how many days drought you have water supplies for. And how long it takes for a water butt to fill up.

I wouldn't think one is enough beg or borrow anything that will hod water. Old baths are good - now any plumbers?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 19:06:46 »
You definatley need to get more - even as a just in case precaution. I have 8. After last summer I aint ever gonna run short if I can help it. Always on the lookout for more too. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Normie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 23:54:30 »
I'm with Robert on this one!

Because I dig in a full load of farmyard manure each year I only water at sowing/planting time then the (outdoor) plants have to fend for themselves.

I'm curious??? if you have no water on the site how do the others fill their barrels?

The other plot holders all have a shed with guttering feeding into the barrels. Although one plot holder doesn't have a shed or any water barrels so goodness knows how he/she waters (if at all).

Cheers,
Ian

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 00:15:32 »
The answer depends on how much watering you're going to do. Could you get enough organic matter to mulch everything? If so, you'd need a lot less water.

This was demonstrated last year - several plot neighbours were out all day watering their spuds and beans, and I didn't water - apart from transplanting time - at all. I didn't see any difference between our crops - if anything, the mulched beans did better than those my neighbours watered. At least one A4a members uses mowed grass from the next door graveyard to mulch - handy and free! Water butts will be mainly for greenhouse use here.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 00:18:56 »

This was demonstrated last year - several plot neighbours were out all day watering their spuds and beans, and I didn't water - apart from transplanting time - at all. I didn't see any difference between our crops - if anything, the mulched beans did better than those my neighbours watered. At least one A4a members uses mowed grass from the next door graveyard to mulch - handy and free! Water butts will be mainly for greenhouse use here.

First time mulching for me was autumn, covered strawberry beds and rhubarb with straw. Not sure about other stuff this yr though. Undecided.

Are there any disadvantages from mulching with mowed grass. If not  I'll use it for my spuds.

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 00:31:20 »
Robert's the expert on grass mulching, no disadvantages provided you don't lay it on too thick (so it doesn't heat up) - about an inch or two. You need 6-8 inches of mulch to maximise water loss from the soil. Also (dark) grass cuttings might help warm the soil in Spring more than (light) straw.

Run your own trials next year - some with, some without?

What did you think of the artichokes - have you eaten them yet? ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 02:10:40 »
Everything I know thrives on grass mulch. All you have to be careful of is smothering small seeds, obviously, and watch the rotting 'stodge'. It's great round bushes, or on anything really tough like rhubarb. But for most things use fresh grass as it makes a lighter covering, and won't start them rotting or anything.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 03:00:27 »
...I'm curious??? if you have no water on the site how do the others fill their barrels? ...

You can fill a water butt by putting four posts in the ground at a height above the water container, then secure a tarpaulin at the four corners to the top of the posts, then make a small hole in the centre of the tarpaulin and put the container under the hole. The rain falls onto the tarpaulin and runs into the container. Helps if you put a small piece of galvanised iron mesh into the tarpaulin at the hole area so it weighs it down a bit.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 11:36:44 »
Last spring we filled two 225 litre water from guttering on our 6 ft hut in about 4 weeks (it was pretty wet) so perhaps you could link up a couple more?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal