Author Topic: Systemic insecticides.  (Read 2397 times)

Larkspur

• Acre
Systemic insecticides.
« on: February 27, 2007, 13:59:53 »
Hi, I am normally reasonably organic, not completely but enough to satisfy myself that the produce that I take home or give away is healthy and safe to eat :). However, I am faced with a situation where I may have to use systemic inseticides on alliums if I am to continue growing them. After quite a bit of research I am unable to find ANY systemic insecticide which is recommended for or considered safe on alliums. Does anyone know if such a thing exists. Thanks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Systemic insecticides.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 19:07:12 »
You don't mention what the problem is, this would have helped in forming my answer.

There is product named 'Tilt' but I would be surprised if you can get a hold of it it is so strong you need an eye dropper to supply the amount to make 2 gallon of the mixture.

You could always consider Sythsane

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 20:00:01 »
Hi larkspur.
 I don't know if this product would help but it's worth a look, i have ordered a 500ml bottle to give it a go on my Fuchsias, it is environmentally friendly, it has only just come on the market.
 www.sbproducts.co.uk

It does make for interesting reading if nothing else.
 Bob

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 06:18:27 »
Many thanks for the replies :) I can base a bit more research on them. The problem Tee Gee is Allium leaf miner which is virtually unknown in this country to the extent that no one even knows what it's life cycle is in the UK :(.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:16:05 »
Hi  larkspur.  Looks like this could be a prob with onions etc if it spreads ...
Here's Defra's  info on this .
Bit of info about fleecing, when to plant out to maybe miss the fly ..Also a systemic  recommended to control it but if its available at our level it don't say ...Cheers Jim.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pestnote/allium.pdf

Cheers .. Jim

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 12:38:07 »
Thanks Jim. Yes I know about the DEFRA info. and currently have my overwintering onions, garlic and shallots covered in fleece. The problem I am having is that DEFRA don't give any information on what systemic insecticide they recommend and despite quite exhaustive enquiries I cannot find one that is recommrnded for use on alliums and I am very reluctant to use one that is not. I am actually very reluctant to use one at all but cannot see any other long term solution.

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 17:09:55 »
Thanks Bob. Having looked at the SB website I'm going to give their product a go.

rdm51

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 20:03:51 »
 Your welcome larkspur, mine arrived today, only ordered it on Monday.
 Will be testing out this weekend let you know how it goes over the season.
  Bob

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal