Author Topic: Rats  (Read 5644 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Rats
« on: January 20, 2007, 17:31:24 »
I have rats in the compost bins on my allotment despite only putting in vegetable waste. I know that they are just part of life's rich pattern, but they terrify me and am quite nervous about emptying the bins.  Does anyone know of anything that deters them? I don't want to put bait down - I can't stand dead rats either!

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Re: Rats
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 17:38:04 »
I've had them in my bins also.  I put down some 'safe' rat killer (I think it's actually called 'Rat Killer'.  It isn't harmful to other animals nor to the compost.  This seemed to get rid of them - I didn't find any dead but my neighbour did - it interferes with their digestive system I think.  Anyway I have now moved my compost bins and refilled but with some small holed chicken wire underneath and pulled up the sides - hopefully to deter them coming back.
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 19:12:38 »
Murder is an ample deterrent, they're perfectly mortal. I put poison down constantly this time of year. I missed a week due to illness, and last time I was down, the shed stank of their urine. I've just got another container of poison in the market, and if I can sneak down tomorrow (the family want me to stay in the warm) then any that survived last week's dose will be heading straight for somewhere so nasty that even Dante couldn't imagine it.

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 21:13:23 »
Look at this
http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/pestcontrol-rodent.html
we used a electronic plug in rat repel, worked a treat! the rats are doing the flamenco somewhere else now but I cant face killing them!!!

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 23:00:37 »
Thanks for the replies - maybe I will have to resort to poison and then send the other half down to empty the bins.I was clearing a compost heap a few years ago and came across a dead one still with its young and I think I am still getting over it. I can cope with mice, frogs, spiders and can handle slow worms quite happily.... but not rats. What is the fear of rats called because i must have it!!!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 23:14:19 »
I do sympathise - they are horrid things & somehow more scary than small furry animals ought to be.  I have used poison successfully but you do have to make sure there is nothing more tempting around for them to eat & it can take them a while to actually eat it. then they normally die down their burrows.  I haven't tried this stuff but probably will next time I need to, previously I have used B&Q's own which they seem to prefer to Rentokil.

http://www.kitchenandgarden.co.uk/item2941.htm

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 23:21:55 »
I have no quarms about killing them.They breed up to about 8 times per year, with each female rat reproducing another litter of 8 or so. They are ready to breed at 4months old. So pull no punches and exterminate till your hearts content. I am sure once you start you will get into the swing of it. If you dont - then your stored crop may not just be stored for you next harvest.... ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 23:33:59 »
Look at this
http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/pestcontrol-rodent.html
we used a electronic plug in rat repel, worked a treat! the rats are doing the flamenco somewhere else now but I cant face killing them!!!

Biscombe, which one did you buy and where are you using it?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 22:43:47 »
A few years ago I came face to face witha  rat I thought it was asleep? but using B+Q's poison it was dead. But the shock nearly knocked me over.
Now I just use urine humane one. they dont like that either and I dont see any. good for breaking down the compost bin so duel porpose. also good for moles poured down the hole in the hill that works and they move on.
Urine in the morning is the strongest so collect it and save money its all recycling haha.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 18:51:30 »
Be careful to wash your hands with rats in the area you can pick up disease from their urine.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 22:37:10 »
We have used the urine route to keep the foxes from digging into a compost heap which seems to have worked so far. The other day I put in some used cooffee grounds into the compost bin - courtesy of Starbucks - and so far the contents look untouched. Perhaps they are not coffee drinkers -anyway i keep checking in the hope that they have gone away.

Nots so bad lad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 18:01:43 »
;D Plenty of poison the rats will nest in your compost bin nice and warm see ;) Also make sure you have gloves on and wash your hands or you will end up with weals disease. Or get your self a good Terrier jack Russell ;D

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 18:10:26 »
  Anyway I have now moved my compost bins and refilled but with some small holed chicken wire underneath and pulled up the sides -

now thats a good idea :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 20:26:32 »
question then if a rats being going to the toilet on compost that you then grow food with do you have to wash it or is it also going to make you sick?

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 20:47:54 »
Oh there are some many creatures that eat and munch through your compost bin to turn it into the brown crumbly stuff for gardens or lotties. Its goes in one end and comes out the other.
 I would not worry about rats having a pee or other helps the compost on its way.
By the time its ready for the garden/lottie and you grow your cabbages. When you pick your cabbages and wash them they are fine to eat.
Just remember handling compost then eating food you will be sick.
If you  wash your hands after any gardening be it compost or just digging or planting you will be fine.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 15:31:49 »
This link will amuse some but very interesting.

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/composting/what_happens_in.html

enjoy

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 19:55:52 »
Ahh how sweet.  I shall be looking out for those little red worms 'going north'.  :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 21:55:33 »
Nice to know whats going on in there ;D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 14:28:19 »
About to put the strained sloes and quince from liquer making into the compost bin - do rats get drunk?

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 19:21:00 »
Tin Shed, I think the term is rat a*ssed.

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal