Author Topic: My first post! Which plot would you choose?  (Read 6031 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: My first post! Which plot would you choose?
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 12:03:14 »
Hi, big welcome to A4A, you have certainly come to the right place for good solid advice!! I only have my garden but the advice I have been given is just great. Lots of pics please. Enjoy!!
Lorna

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 14:07:51 »
Hi

Might also be worth ( once you have strimmed and rotivated ) to get a couple of ton of morse manure on it over winter.

There is plenty of horses around that area.

I know of a place near west brom which has about 20 horses.

Cambourne7

I'm in West Brom... my husband might just divorce me though, if I fill his car with manure. But that's only if he found out...

;) :D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 19:28:17 »
You might have enough wood to build compost bins instead oy buying them, just line the inside with black plastic, or see if you can get some wooden pallets to nail together and line them the same - and weight the lid with a brick or something to stop it blowing off.  Save you some pennies when you are just starting out  ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 17:09:26 »
Raspberries etc like shelter and don't mind some shade. It may be hard to tell at this time of the year exactly how much sun you will get during the growing season. I wouldn't have minded some shade this summer for part of the day. I would definitely like some shelter from the west if only to stop all the weeds blowing in from the meadow next to my allotment.

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 10:41:07 »
defo number 1, you can never have too much space! you can always clear it bity by bit, or leave it covered from crop rotation later in your lottie life, but for me the shed and greenhouse would just be too good to turn down :-)

welcome

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 17:27:03 »
Hi Laura. We have half plot in Sutton Coldfield where we live and have just taken on a full plot in Erdington where my daughter lives. We are almost neighbours. Our half plot is a corner one and I love it. I find that a bit of shade is most welcome when it's really hot. make an area to sit in . Some plants don't like to be too hot either.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 18:05:50 »
Small world! I went to college in Sutton for A-levels (way back when  ::)) and then onto Birmingham university, so I know both areas well  :)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 22:57:09 »

I would say take the largest of the plots available then raid the others for anything that might come in handy later, eg pallets or long lengths of wood or metal, rocks and slabs, barrels etc. Then dump all your hard-to-remove rubbish onto them.

I don't think you'd be very popular with this. I'm pretty sure our allotment site would have stern words if I dumped rubbish on unused plots.
  Best of luck Laura, I think I'd probably go for no. 14 also, sounds a lot more accessible more quickly.  :)

Oooh please don't  ever dump rubbish on other plots!  This is what had happened to mine and it has been backbreaking to remove it all!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal