Author Topic: Problems with AOL Software  (Read 2215 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Problems with AOL Software
« on: January 13, 2007, 23:51:51 »
I wonder if anyone can help me. After using AOL software fine for the last few months/years, we have recently (like in the last 24 hours), been having some quite severe problems with the software which has restricted our enjoyment  of the internet.

It all started last night when i went to log on to the net to check/read emails. The emails would not open and the software stopped responding. Tried again and this time the software would not work at all. Came up with the main window and sign on screen but none of the buttons, including the close program "X" button would work. I had to use control - alt - delete - end task to shut AOL down.

Then tried the following: Reboot PC, Quick Restore (in AOL one click fixes) and ultimately complete uninstall followed by reinstall in a different directory. None were sucessfull, the software still would not respond to commands. I have scanned for adware/spyware (removed what was found), scanned for viruses (none detected), trying the software after each scan, still nothing.

Fortunatley I can still connect via internet explorer (version 7 - have used aol fine with v7 in the past), so decided to go on AOL live help (chatroom). Was placed in a very long queue to 'speak' to an agent, so had to give up. I have also had to use IE7 to post on A4ALL and AOL forums. Ok so I have internet, but cant easily access emails or bookmarked websites (favourite places), so the current situation is far from satisfactory. I should add that very occasionaly if left alone long enough the aol browser will allow sign on but this is unpredictable and far from how it should be.

I am at my wits end now I dont know what to try next. I fear the problem may be with the PC's registry, requiring a complete reformat/reload of the operating system to effectively start again from scratch.

Please advise.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Problems with AOL Software
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 17:02:11 »
OK so 13 of you have read the message. Anyone able to offer any advice or support? Thanks.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 18:32:55 »
Sorry Richard, I have read your post twice now but can't help - that takes you down to 18 I think!  I am with AOL which is why I looked but have had no problems here.  Hope someone can help you soon!  T.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 20:04:09 »
yes have had a similar prob will try a system restore will let you know what happens wensday i think it to do with updates as it only started to happen 2 or 3 days ago

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 11:02:34 »
yes have had a similar prob will try a system restore will let you know what happens wensday i think it to do with updates as it only started to happen 2 or 3 days ago

Which updates were those? I havent received any recently. My problem started on friday evening (12th).

To compound the problem I have been trying to get help from AOL Live help. This apparently has been expereincing problems so have got absolutely nowhere with it.

Utterly Frustrating.

Thanks for your post.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 18:57:23 »
i thought it might have been IE7 but still have not got to the bottom of it yet as restore would not work.
will try something in the morning & if it works will let you know

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 00:12:38 »
tried the following: Reboot PC, Quick Restore (in AOL one click fixes) and ultimately complete uninstall followed by reinstall in a different directory. None were sucessfull, the software still would not respond to commands. I have scanned for adware/spyware (removed what was found), scanned for viruses (none detected), trying the software after each scan, still nothing.

You're not going to like this...

I had the same problem some months ago. Tried all of the above - nothing worked. It got to the stage where any time I went on to AOL, the whole computer froze - couldn't even use CTRL+ALT+DEL and kept having to switch off. It started to affect other programmes and got to the stage where I couldn't work on ordinary documents for more than 5 minutes before the whole thing would freeze and crash.

Months of saving hard followed... after which the problem was solved.

(hence my recent return to this forum).

I've no proof that AOL was the sole cause - until your message (and Tel's) I'd never heard of anyone experiencing anything like what I did - but I've always been d**n certain they were involved somehow, either by having some part of the software gradually decay, or by letting a virus through their system security.

Sorry I'm not the bearer of glad tidings. If you manage to solve this one, do please let me know.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 09:38:05 »
I've been having real major problems with Outlook Express. I even dived into the Reg Dir to tweak...I can restore it to it's former glory but not for long...I got so fed-up with it slowing my 'puter down to a speed of 3mins to open a page! that I now don't even open it. I've switched to Google mail and I have my life back.
Google mail has the advantage of being spam free which is probably my main problem with Outlook Express. Also got lots of knobs and whistles...I love it so much I've invited quite a few of my friends to use it. I'ts now getting busier than my busy Hotmail a/c.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 10:47:34 »
i thought it might have been IE7 but still have not got to the bottom of it yet as restore would not work.
will try something in the morning & if it works will let you know

So its not worth going back to IE6 then?

Looked into System Restore, which in theory might have solved the problem, however i cant get the System Restore application to function. It just wont work, i keep getting an error message when i try, saying there is a file missing which the program needs to work. So thats the end of that option. Then this morning had no end of trouble starting/booting up the PC (a laptop) expereincing the problem. It 'stopped' (blue screen error) twice and completely froze once.

I think it is time to start over and do a complete reset and reinstall windows. Means a lot of work (backing up files etc), but i feel now that the PCs registry has become corrupted and needs to be reset. Fortunately it is not my only PC, so i can back up onto the other PC (desktop) and use that for internet/work etc while i sort out the laptop.

Thanks for replies

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 18:04:07 »
I'm afraid that AOL has contracted out its ISP arrangements to .... Carphone Warehouse.  Shock horror.

You should have had a couple of emails telling you about this.  The most recent one tells you that there will be problems over the first few weeks, but then it will get better.

I hope so.  If it doesn't, I'm outta there.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 18:11:27 »
I'm afraid that AOL has contracted out its ISP arrangements to .... Carphone Warehouse.  Shock horror.

You should have had a couple of emails telling you about this.  The most recent one tells you that there will be problems over the first few weeks, but then it will get better.

I hope so.  If it doesn't, I'm outta there.

Dont have problems (yet!) with the actual connection. When the software works or i use internet explorer, i connect and browse fine.

I guess they mustve 'contracted out' their technical help as well. Live Help has been a nightmare whilst trying to get help on this latest problem.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal