Author Topic: How do you find private rentals?  (Read 2264 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
How do you find private rentals?
« on: January 19, 2007, 15:33:07 »
Hey,

does anyone know how to find private properties/flats for rent?

the problem i'm having is....that i've got very little money....and i'm moving from northamptonshire to leicester. i don't have a job in leicester yet but that should be sorted within the coming weeks as i have interviews lined up.

most estate agents i've rung are asking for £150 application fees, 1.5 months rent in deposit and a credit check. now they do a check about 6 years back, speak to your past employers etc.....and if you fail it...then they keep the application fee anyway. I can't afford that to be honest....and i know i won't be able to pass it.

i've lived in a provately rented property before.....but that was through a friend...i don't know anyone in leicester really....so i've no idea how to go about finding accomadation.

any ideas?

thanks.

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
Re: How do you find private rentals?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 15:50:11 »
You could try getting hold of a local newspaper - they usually have property sections or sometimes a particular day that has a whole extra magazine bit in.  Maybe they have it online too?  My local paper has a website, so maybe leicester will too?  I know what you mean about estate agents - the fees they charge are really steep and you always end up paying more than you would if you went private cos they add in their comission-type fees too.  Daylight robbery!

Good luck finding somewhere! ;)

Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 15:57:49 »
Check out this website

www.rightmove.co.uk

National rentals all over the country with all different and local agents
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 18:55:53 »
how about staying with students, my son, who's a chef in Leicester university, stayed with students for a while, there's usually a free place somewhere,
if you google  accommodation, Leicester, there's all sorts of sites to look at
hope you have some luck, Wahaj, you've had some challenges but we'll keep everything crossed that it's all over now  :)

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 19:15:51 »
Another thought.  Check Housing Associations in Leicester.  Their accommodation is usually charged at very reasonable rate.  You can google for them.  If nothing else, you could register your name with them.  The accommodation may be basic but you have amenities and they do tend to be helpful.  :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 17:52:02 »
I can understand landlords wanting deposits. My daughter has just moved to another rented property. The amount of damage the previous tenant did is disgusting. (It is a very nice house) because of this the landlord has asked my daughter for £1100 deposit. He knows my daughter quite well as she has livery for her horse at his stables but once bitten twice shy comes to mind. Fortunately my daughter had the deposit but I was just pointing out that deposits are understandable.
Lorna

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 21:36:35 »
For private, student and flat-share type places you can loot in the relevent area Loot newspaper. It's online too.

Tina.

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 22:02:35 »
The only renting I did was just a room in the same house as the "landlady" I found this in a local shop window, it worked great for me...I ended up renting there for 4 years, in fact I really landed on my feet, it was a new town where I knew no body but was made so welcome by the landlady and her friends, I still live in the same town with my fiancee!  :D
So my advice (for what its worth) would be is to pop up to the area of Leicester you were thinking of moving too and just looking in the newsagent windows and ringing up and going for a look. Personally I feel you know quite quickly if you like the feel of a place or not.
Hope it all goes well for you

Regards

Matt

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal