Author Topic: New to gardening - advice needed  (Read 5411 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: New to gardening - advice needed
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 20:24:29 »
yes, I'm starting my beet and carrots off tomorrow, can't wait  :)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2007, 20:42:10 »
When you say beet, do you mean beetroot or spinach beet type stuff?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2007, 20:44:19 »
well, mine are beetroot, 1 'seed' planted in a pot, these will be going in the border of the polytunnel when they're big enough, how about yours, supersprout ?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 21:07:58 »
Three beetroot to a module - I might reduce to one or two like you scousers ::) Baby varieties so early i.e. Pronto. They'll go in a pot in the greenhouse, or under cloches in the back garden, once they've taken.
I'll keep sowing every ten days or so til the end of August and never be without baby veg again
;D ;D ;D

No reason why you shouldn't start spinach beet - if you like it ;)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 21:13:06 »
Cool, thanks, just thought i'd check - being a newbie is no fun you know!  :D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

RedSquirrel

• Not So New ...
  • "the playful pest"
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2007, 10:16:12 »
Hi All,

Best of luck with the new season everyone.  :)

We got onto our first plot after Easter last year - in the middle of a newly rotovated 10plot site in Pudsey that had been mostly derelict for 10 years. We've already had a lot of produce on it - including sweetcorn - and are still enjoying surprisingly tasty kale.

As part of my work for Social Services, I'm also setting up a project supporting adults with mental health support needs into gardening, allotments and the nature side of life, which is developing nicely - it certainly makes the week better when you start Monday morning on a community allotment  :D

We've got the "patio veg" collection from the organic gardening catalogue (www.organiccatalog.com)  to play with this year - their suggestions for Aubergine and Sweetcorn are "little finger" and "minipop" respectively. I can really recommend their website and the HDRA is worth joining too - free entry to Harlow Carr and 10% off purchases too.

Did anyone get to the Harlow Carr "Grow Your Own Veg" day yesterday by the way ?  The talks were worth the sludge & rain.  :)

timeoff

• Not So New ...
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 15:05:33 »
Hi Jo.
        I just got half an allotment in garforth behind the community centre ,
(I am in dover street) . Wilkinson is good for quite a few things (crossgates)
and the swillington nursery is the best one in the area.

jo9919

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2007, 19:58:23 »
RedSquirrel, Just had a look at the website, I can't find the patio veg collection, which sub-heading is it under?

I would have loved to have gone to Harlow Carr yesterday, unfortunately my darling son was having a sleepover. I had one of his friends here from Friday night until last night so all ideas I had of going anywhere on Saturday went out of the window!!! I'm glad you enjoyed it though, I thought it would have been a good idea for me to go and get some information from them before I start my first season as a veggie grower  ;D Isn't it Harlow Carr where they are trialling the 3 X 3 metre beds as seen on Grow Your Own? Did you happen to see anything about this while you were there?

Timeoff, Dover Street is just over the railway from me. Is your allotment near to Firthfields?

Jo.

RedSquirrel

• Not So New ...
  • "the playful pest"
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2007, 21:19:07 »
Hi Jo,

sorry, it's under their "seeds collection" at www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_225&products_id=2379

the "community allotment and orchard" is on Cobden Road, near Matalan. Our own plot is by Pudsey Cemetry.

ps. I also grew up in Upper Wortley, where my dad was the archetypal draughtsman who dug up half the garden as an allotment  a la "Good Life".   ;D

timeoff

• Not So New ...
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2007, 14:21:51 »
Hi jo.
        Yes, allotment is one of those near firthfields. Just a five minute walk away. And yes i am just the other side of the railway wishing the weather was better lol......

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2007, 14:25:56 »
I have a friend in Pudsey (Marsh) who has just got into veg gardening Red Squirrel I won't be passing your details on to him, his wife would never forgive me!
 ;D

jo9919

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2007, 19:36:06 »
Thanks for the link Redsquirrel. It does look rather expensive seed though (perhaps I am wrong). I got Spring Onion, Parsnip, Radish, Leek, Chives, Beetroot, Lettuce, Pea, Garlic and 2 packs of Lillies all for £7.56 from Wilkos. The seed packs were cheap to start with but then there was a 2 for 1 offer on too. I hope it's not false economy and that the seeds germinate though.

Timeoff, I agree with you. It's been awful weather here in Garforth. How often do you get down to your allotment?

Jo.

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 22:13:56 »
Good luck to you Jo, I think getting the kids involved is a great way to get them to try new stuff! 

I am grateful for the Tom sauce recipe manicscouser, I have tried loads already but they have all been such a palaver!  I know you freeze yours but do you think it would bottle up ok?
Donna
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

timeoff

• Not So New ...
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2007, 23:20:53 »
Jo.  I get down about once a week at the moment, just to check the sheds still standing, as its a bit of a sad case, and i have got a few things done. But come better weather i will be going 3 times a week i hope.   Meanwhile, i have my little growhouse full of seeds in the the side conservatory.  And a lot of rain outside .... lol.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2007, 09:02:31 »

I am grateful for the Tom sauce recipe manicscouser, I have tried loads already but they have all been such a palaver!  I know you freeze yours but do you think it would bottle up ok?
Donna
[/quote]

don't know much about bottling, apart from pickling..maybe someone else ?  :)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:04:37 by manicscousers »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2007, 12:50:07 »
I have a book called The Edible Container Gardener,fresh food from tiny spaces, by Michael Guerra. It has tons of practical advice. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

jo9919

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2007, 21:50:26 »
Thanks for the replies.

Machman5, I have never made a Tomato Sauce recipe in my life so I'm grateful for the advice too.

timeoff, the weather here in Garforth has been lovely the last couple of days. I hope you have made use of the fine weather and been up to the allotment? How long have you had the lottie and what do you grow on it?

Jeannine, thank you for the book recommendation, I will look out for it. OK, you have the book, have you container gardened yourself? If so, what have you grown and what would you recommend?

Jo.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal