Author Topic: Pak choi curtains  (Read 2533 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Pak choi curtains
« on: April 27, 2004, 12:47:58 »
Net curtains in fact!  All planted out, looking great, within 24 hours, all nibbled and looking like net curtains.  Little black beetles, so I figure flea beetles.  How can I treat this, or if I ignore, will they do that much damage?  Someone mentioned derris...what is derris?  Thanks all.  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Pak choi curtains
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 14:21:32 »
EJ, I cover my Pak Choi with fleece to keep the flea beetles off ;D
Quote fron the organic gardening catalogue.........Derris is the strongest and longest lasting of the insect sprays that we offer killing caterpillars aphids thrips and sawfly. The active ingredient is rotenone which is taken from a number of tropical plants. Can be used on crops right up to one day before harvest. Derris powder is not soluble in water and should be used on dry days.  (might have to get me some!! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 16:44:27 »
You can also get a spray I think, but it really stinks  :D  think it kills ladybirds too doesnt it?  (dont quote me its just from memory)  works well tho....

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 17:07:33 »
An "organic" way of getting rid of flea beetle is to take a broad bit of wood or any other material and smear it with car grease.

Then holding this just above the affected plant row walk along with another stick brushing the plants. This causes the beetles to leap up and they stick to the grease - and it does work - honest!!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 18:24:13 »
yeah, okay Phil, the other lottie chaps already think I am some kind of weirdo!  The other thing I meant to ask was.....they are currently under a cage, is this necessary?  Will the pigeons make as quick work with them as they did with my flipping peas at dawn today!  >:(

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 18:27:51 »
Wonder if vaseline would work? (On beetles not pidgeons!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 09:08:14 »
If they are in the cage - they need dealing with - you're worried about appearing like a wierdo - thisshould give them the proof they need.  ;D

Vaseline should work as it is sticky

Phil

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 10:29:36 »
or sticky tape or those yellow strips to catch greenfly etc
Joolieeee

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 12:37:40 »
Bought some derris today and will do the deed tomorrow.  I shall be doing my rocket and radishes also as the beetles are on them too.  Buggers!

rdak

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 14:34:56 »
what exactly is derris? Is it strictly, loosely or not at all organic?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 14:43:28 »
umm......someone will tell you, but I am sure it said the organic way to deal with pests.  When I get back from the school run, if noone has already told us, I will bring the bottle up and tell you what it reads.  :-\

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 14:43:53 »
According to the HDRA's Organic Charter, derris has "qualified acceptance". It's definiiton of which is below.

Qualified acceptance: materials and practices not suitable for regular use in an Organic garden. They are included to help those moving towards an Organic regime and to deal with particular problems

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 14:45:22 »
well, if it gets shot of these rotten little blighters, I shall be a happy, almost organic, gardener!  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal