Author Topic: Britain braces for gales and cold spells  (Read 14019 times)

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Britain braces for gales and cold spells
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 20:41:23 »
I get it!! ;D ;D ;D

(I knew anyway)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 06:59:55 »
The snow's back !

Started 20 mins ago.  ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 07:29:39 »
Blowing a hoolie, I have to go out,   I might be some time.

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 08:40:12 »
We got the snow yesterday on and off ( county Durham  england) and woke up this morning to find it had settled its not that windy yet but by heck its cold plus its very dark here so i reckon more snows gonna fall soon
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 09:06:51 »
OMG! Sounds even worse outside than the '87 hurricane - and apparently the highest wind-speeds aren't due until around midday. Just heard on Radio 4 that 90mph+  gust recorded on the Needles (Isle of Wight). Thinking of your greenhouses/polyunnels/sheds - and keeping my fingers crossed for you all.

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 09:17:24 »
Crazy winds here, was meant to be going to the isle of wight for a funeral today, but its cut off, about time they built a tunnel!
I lost my plastic greenhouse in the winds last Thursday, along with a trellis and a wall...lets hope there isn't too much damage today

Regards

Matt

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 10:36:19 »
Been keeping an eye/ear on the latest reports from around the country. It certainly sounds bad. We have high winds and some bits and pieces of rain, but doesnt seem as bad hare as predicted. From what they were saying on the forecasts, i half expected a few branches down off our trees at least. As yet nothing (thankfully), so it cant be as bad as that one night in december when one of our fences got flattened and glazing blew out of the greeenhouse.

I think i am more concerned about the cold snap they are threatening us with next week. Just how bad is it going to be? Is it going to be just a few days of cold and frost and then back mild again (like we had in November and December) or are we in for the long haul this time (like last winter)? It wont be so bad if the days are nice and sunny (takes the edge off the cold). The worst thing would be to go from overcast and mild to overcast and bitterly cold!

moonbeam

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 10:38:58 »
Started  snowing here in Dundee and its lying in places would have rather had a very hard frost but mother nature decides what we get not us.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 10:54:03 »
Started  snowing here in Dundee and its lying in places would have rather had a very hard frost but mother nature decides what we get not us.

Actualy snow is better for the garden than a frost. Snow acts like a blanket, protecting the ground to a certain extent from frost. Then when it melts the moisture penetrates the soil gradualy rather than runnig  off and washing it away as you get with torrential rain.

Of course snow is not good if you have to travel anywhere, and as we all know it takes very little snow these days to grind the UK transport network to a halt!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 11:03:08 »
ACE, just heard on the news about gusts of 99mph recorded on the IOW, hope you are ok and not out working in it!  Hope your herb garden is ok! :(

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 11:05:05 »
Wind's a-howlin here in Hampshire. Dustbins flying round as it's collection day today!

We effectively live in a wood so it is a bit of a worry. Last week a 60- footer came down at the bottom end of the garden. Southern Electric got the power back by late afternoon, which was brilliant, but I could do without a repeat.

We're parking the cars away from the trees, just in case.......

CLx

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 11:23:35 »
Don't we need a cold snap to get our garlic to subdivide?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2007, 11:27:47 »
Yes Barnowl, otherwise you just end up with one very large clove - it was mentioned somewhere that if you replant these large cloves, you end up with very big heads of garlic the following year - I must remember to try this.

Weather bad here in the midlands too, I am too worried to visit my plot, I have visions of mass damage ...

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 11:40:36 »
Blimey ole riley, it is howling here in Essex!  My boss gave me the day off, he didn't fancy going out either and as I was due at Hatfield Peveral which is a trip down the fast A12, he felt it best I stay home safe and sound.  I haven't heard the forecast for tomorrow yet - hope it is dry so I can earn a crust!

Keep safe people, it sounds like madness out there.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 11:53:04 »
it took us 1 hr, 25 minutes to do a 10 minute trip, we had a flood to the top of our tyres going for our grandson, then the canal broke it's banks on the way back so another horrendous flood on the way for school, he was going for the breakfast club at 8.10, actually got in to school, 9.20..blowing a gale but beautifully sunny now   :)

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 12:09:28 »
ok ok, its the last time im going to tell you all, :o stop picking on me, ::) or talking about me behind my back, >:( or i'll stay here for a long long time, ;D and all your greenhouses, polytunnels, trees will be blown down  ;) mind you i think i've over done it, its making the tiles rattle, the ariel bang and it has that eerie hum,somebody's black bins just gone down the road,
 i may calm down in time, if i stop eating the sprouts,
take care :D
windygale ;D
my allotment
heaven

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 12:18:39 »
It's howling (literally) in Birmingham as well. Torrential showers and trees tossing about everywhere. I'm stuck in college, and I'm going stright home to bed when I finish, so I've no idea what damage, if any, to expect on the allotment. Most of the really wobbly-looking fencing flew down last week, but it's blowing harder now.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 12:38:20 »
But you can use your hose pipe - if you're with Thames??

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 12:50:43 »
We can indeed Tim, just as soon as the rain stops I think I will go and hose the car off and maybe get a sprinkler on the grass :)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 13:16:16 »
OMG! Sounds even worse outside than the '87 hurricane - and apparently the highest wind-speeds aren't due until around midday. Just heard on Radio 4 that 90mph+  gust recorded on the Needles (Isle of Wight). Thinking of your greenhouses/polyunnels/sheds - and keeping my fingers crossed for you all.

actually the Burn's Night Storm of 1990 was worse, in terms of fatalities, about 100 as opposed to about 20. This was the one that nearly did for Gordon Kaye when he got hit in the head by some flying debris. The highest windspeed was in the other great storm of 1989 (over 120 knots -140 mph at Frazerburgh). I suspect we always get reminded about the 1987 storm because of poor Michael Fish, and whisper it softy, because mainly affected the South of England and London.................

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal