Author Topic: First Butterfly???  (Read 2616 times)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
First Butterfly???
« on: January 15, 2007, 01:32:01 »
Sunday, 14th January -

1.   There I was, pruning my mini-apple tree, when this suddenly appeared on the wall in front of me.

2.   Blimey! I only planted these Daffs in October - they've been flowering for the last week. The stubby little things next to them are hyacinths.

3.   ...and yes, I've completely forgotten how to post pictures with text in between! HELP!!!

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
Re: First Butterfly???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:50:27 »
now that's amazing  >:(
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 14:25:41 »
You are truly blessed to have outside narcissus plus a butterfly.  I thought I was doing well with my group of snowdrops flowering 2weeks or more  early.   :D :D :D  That butterfly should be hibernating.  Do you mean to tell me its actually warm and sunny where you are ???

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 14:42:19 »
I'm in central London, Carol. The butterfly looked as if it had not long hatched and was allowing its wings to dry out, though I couldn't see a chrysalis nearby.

It's strange how the daffodils have come out so early when the narcissus are just starting to sprout!    ???
Lesson for life:

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 14:45:52 »
It's strange how the daffodils have come out so early when the narcissus are just starting to sprout!

I meant to say hyacinths

Lesson for life:

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 17:04:53 »
I have seen bees around, though that isnt that unusual down this way. I have also seen other flying insects (unidentified), which is slightly unusual.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 00:00:40 »
Me too, GC!

In fact as I was coming back indoors after taking the photos, I was overtaken by a massive great bumblebee making a... well -  beeline! for my clematis cirrhosa which is smothered in bloom at present.
Lesson for life:

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 10:14:01 »
Amazin - that really is staggering! A picture very similar to yours made it onto South Today - (our regional news programme after the 6 o'clock news on BBC1) - yesterday. Some of the 'brown' butterflies are the first to appear in the early spring - (in about two months time!) - but they are over-wintered specimens and invariably in pretty poor condition. Yours - and the one on TV - are pristine and obviously newly hatched. Very strange! Fabulous pic, though!  ;)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 11:18:59 »
While it is amazing to see, I do feel a bit sad when I see things like this. Clearly they think spring has arrived. They will be in for a nasty shock when winter finaly arrives (I am certain a cold spell is due soon, we cant go on like this all 'winter'.) Then sadly these insects will not survive.

I think this is the worst aspect of climate change - the disruption of the natural  cycles, which the wildlife depends on.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 14:11:58 »
You are SO right GC. Everything's crazy climate-wise.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 21:41:55 »
The way I see it, if the weather is mild enough to wake up the butterflies, then it's surely mild enough for their food supply to have survived.

So hopefully at least for as long as they do manage to live, they'll have a happy and fulfilled, if somewhat curtailed life. Shame, though.
Lesson for life:

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 09:30:25 »
Spring is on the way
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 10:41:05 »
Spring is on the way

Are you sure about that? I did hear in the TV weather it might be getting colder next week.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 12:40:21 »
Blinking wet and cold in the garden where I was working today!  And as the rain lashed down on my soaken fringe, a whopping big bumble bee flew by me and straight into a jasmin type flower where it buzzed happily!

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 14:13:27 »
Spring is certainly not here up in the Scottish Borders.  We have snow with more snow showers on the way.  You are also in for some wild weather tomorrow darn saff with horizontal rain and gales. 

Amazin   Was that your butterfly they showed on the 6 o'clock News last night as a feature of the warmer weather we are having.  I shouted at the telly  ' Oh that butterfly is off the A4A site'.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 14:25:06 »
Thanks for your generosity Carol, It's on it's way - temprature is dropping in Lancashire & the wind is getting up.  Should get blown home tonight.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 19:12:35 »
Dangit, Carol, I missed it!

I did send my photo to the UK Phenology Network - they're working in partnership with the BBC's Springwatch survey - but no reply as yet.

If it WAS my photo they used, I would hope A4A would get a mention (or better yet, a fee!)
Lesson for life:

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 21:45:23 »
Well I am almost 100% sure it was your pic. Amazin.  Good for you.  Ask for a fee   ;) ;)

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 01:46:30 »
Update on the butterfly. If you recall, I sent my photo to the UK Phenology Network which is working in partnership with the BBC's Springwatch survey.

Yesterday I got this reply:

Thanks for your email, and for the attached image.  The following link has lots of interesting info on peacock and other butterflies - hope you enjoy browsing the site...

Now, I know my little butterfly might be confused about the seasons, but even he knows he's a Red Admiral.
Lesson for life:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal