Author Topic: Newbie - suitable wood for raised beds?  (Read 989 times)

Normie

• Not So New ...
Newbie - suitable wood for raised beds?
« on: January 14, 2007, 08:18:46 »
Hi,

Just got a new allotment, but far too wet to do anything useful on it, so am busy planning (although more realistically "dreaming").

Anyway, a neighbour is having an extension done and has about 1/2 a dozen old ceiling joists sat in a skip. Would these be OK for using to make raised beds or compost bins? I've read  that certain treated wood is not suitable as chemicals may leech into the soil.

Any comments would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Ian

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Newbie - suitable wood for raised beds?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:26:46 »
Hello Normie
Others will come in with their experience of edging beds, just a quick thought - you don't need to edge your beds. If your allotment is new, it might be an idea to mark out bed areas with string and stakes for a couple of growing seasons, so that you can make adjustments in the light of experience before you invest in something more permanent  :)
Good luck with your new plot! :)

Normie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:39:01 »
Thanks for the reply. What you say makes perfect sense - should really get to know my plot before deciding where to place the beds.

I think there are 2 reason for me looking at raised beds so soon - 1) need to feel that I'm actually doing something with my plot (it's overgrown and needs clearing), but hampered by current weather. and 2) didn't want to miss the opportunity of getting some wood for free (plus it's only just up the road so no transport worries).

Think I''ll take a deep breath, put my wellies on and wonder over to the plot for some more dreaming...

Cheers,
Ian

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 08:42:17 »
Welcome Ian, and yes grab those joists while you can, even if not used for raised beds ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:04:42 »
Like Curry says grab the wood and any other goodies lurking in the skip you will probarly find a use for them later.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 10:32:33 »
Pressure treated gravel boards are good and will last at least ten years. I have used them on paths next to lawn and the grass does not seem to suffer from leaching. If you ever come across old sleepers make sure they do not have loads of tar on them. The sleepers the sell for gardens are purpose made for the job.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 15:06:54 »
we've used old pallets for the edges of our beds but I wouldn't let those pieces of wood go , you'll probably be looking for some soon   ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 16:57:36 »
Snap up any good timber asap... can always make a hot box or some frames...
 ;D

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 18:31:36 »
The only trouble I found with raised beds is that they produce an ideal place for slugs and snails to congregate. Good luck with the new allotment
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 23:37:04 »
Grab the wood. Even if you dont use it for beds it WILL come in useful at a later date. You will regret it later
if you dont.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 07:04:18 »
Its creosoted wood that you should avoid, you know, railway sleepers, telegraph poles, that sort of thing. They were manufactured to last and were impregnated with large amounts of creosote that leaches out and is bad for plants and humans.

Normie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 08:38:29 »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm off down the road in a minute to see what I can grab.

Cheers,
Ian

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal