Author Topic: Help - potatoes everywhere on new lottie!  (Read 1185 times)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Help - potatoes everywhere on new lottie!
« on: January 06, 2007, 19:31:29 »
It seems our lottie neighbours used our plot to grow loads of taters last year bless them. However, whilst clearning the crap (diet coke cans, carrier bags etc  :-X ) off the plot today we also saw about a million tatties strewn all over the place (i'm guessing they've brought them to the surface but not harvested them?). So my question is ... will they sprout up everywhere next year regardless of where we actually want them, or what?  ???  We are planning on planting tatties but obviously in the right bed according to our rotation plan!! Any advice gratefully received! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Help - potatoes everywhere on new lottie!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 19:35:37 »
wow, are they any good ?, can you use any of them ?, we get them coming up occasionally, just dig them out when they do, we get some nice, new little spuds to eat,  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 19:37:14 »
I wouldn't worry about it. It won't do your ground any harm. Gave you a helping hand at least. If they sprout up next year - just dig 'em up and burn or dispose of 'em. I wouldn't eat them personally. Eat what you grow. Don't add 'em to your compost heap as you don't know what diseases they may of had.

At least your ground has been cleared and broken up for you. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 19:37:43 »
The simple answer is yes - expect to see lots of 'volunteers', fortunately they are extremely easy to weed. I am being plagued all the time by shoots from tiny tubers that got overlooked. Just accept it is part of the first year on a plot, far preferable I would venture, than hundreds of bramble shoots appearing everywhere ... :)

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 20:00:45 »
wow, are they any good ?, can you use any of them ?, we get them coming up occasionally, just dig them out when they do, we get some nice, new little spuds to eat,  :)

Unfortunately not manicscousers, they're mainly mouldy & all squishy (i do believe that's the technical term isn't it?  ;D) and i wouldn't be too sure what chemicals etc they'd used on them - apparently organic growing doesn't work - according to our neighbours!  >:(

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, you've put my mind at rest, we'll just pull out any that appear in unwanted places. x

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 21:31:36 »
Kitten,
When you say they are moldy & squishy - do they stink when wiffed?
If so, you have a nasty problem.
Report back please!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 21:48:45 »
Oh dear, that sounds bad! I didn't actually sniff any of them, will have to pop back tomorrow and check it out, or rather take hubby and ask him to sniff them for me (easily upset stomach!) - will let you know. Incidentally, if they are whiffy, what will it be?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 22:00:44 »
If they're rotten, then ruthlessly exterminate any that come up. You could have blight lurking.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 22:18:39 »
Agreed.
Let us know kitten!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 23:23:45 »
Will do, didn't have a chance to go down today but will take a quick trip up tomorrow & report back

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 18:07:11 »
Hi all, sorry for the delay but didn't manage to get down the lottie til today!  ::)

I checked out the tatties all over our plot and they look alright (apart from a few slug teeth marks!) and they don't smell nasty or anything. Can I assume that all is well? Ta x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal