Author Topic: Surely it is too early....  (Read 3062 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Surely it is too early....
« on: April 26, 2004, 14:38:19 »
to plant out your toms?  Went to nose around another lottie site in the next village to us, Danbury, and noticed that one plot holder already has tomato plants out and growing strong.  :o  Surely it is still too early, we did have a very slight frost last week, I would have thought that would have been enough to knock 'em down?

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re:Surely it is too early....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 14:39:29 »
Fleece!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 14:45:02 »
That is what I wondered multi, however, all of the plants are neatly caned so goodness knows how the plottie does it.

rdak

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 14:46:05 »
Some of my plot neighbours have their runner beans out already!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 14:47:25 »
My toms are going out on the balcony in their grow bags as soon as I can get some canes.

But then, the balcony is covered and I am prepared to cover them up if need be. Sowed too early, and they are now too big for their pots. (see my photo in the gallery)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 14:56:38 »
One lottie couple new to it, have already lost their runners that they planted out  :o
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 15:56:28 »
I certainly don't want to put mine out into the greenhouse yet!! = Tim

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 16:16:21 »
My Tom's are still in paper cups. Most are only about 3" high. I see no need to panick at all.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 17:58:54 »
It is far too early for outdoor toms,and the same for runners-I did however plant some toms into the polytunnel today- but there again I can put some heat in if we get a cold night.

Stephan

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 22:09:39 »
Phew, good to hear you chaps.  I have half my clan in the greenhouse, but same as you Stephan, I can always turn the heater on if necessary, plus they are insulated with extra bubble wrap.  

Tis good to nose around other peeps plots though, got some good ideas on fruit cages and brassica protection, and to see what they are growing now.  One plot had the hugest leeks I have ever seen!  :o

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 18:20:18 »
i put french beans out, having read (or possibly imagined i read) something saying they would be OK in warmed soil. stuck a cloche on for a week and put beans in ground a week ago. However, that night, I lay awake - i kid you not, i watched the dawn, WORRYING. Next day, down to bean arch - a tale in itself - armed with fleece, poles, string and a bad case of Blue Peter bodging - I have made a Tracy Island!! Oh Yes, and years of Warhammer terrain!). Anyway, the plants are now in kinda miniature tents, suspended off a pole, halfway down the 'arch'. Also, am about to guiltily post with melon queries - guilty, as i never get near a PC these days until I am desperate. Not that I have many words of wisdom or advice to share but still....
cheers, suzy

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 03:39:12 »
Remembering Tim's adage that what we get here you will get in ten days it was cold enough here this morning to include a few snowflakes among the rain drops! So, late next week, a significant cool down for the U.K.?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 06:23:24 »
I think it's jumped the gun! = Tim

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 07:48:23 »
You can expect things to be set out to early, from gardeners who are new to the enjoyable hobby when, you get so called experts like Monty Don on his gardening program a couple of weeks ago saying......Well the days are warming up now and that means the nights are warmer so no more FROSTS.  As he not heard the saying never cast a doubt until May is out. I allways was told when i was leaning this game, which l am still learning, that frosts are possable until the end of May, and l think in some parts of the country they are. It can at times be a costly mistake to plant things out to early without any protection.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 08:28:15 »
At what temp do you decide that heat is necessary, Stephan?

I don't like toms, peppers & aubs being under 50F - & they are often that till June!! = Tim

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 18:40:40 »
Tim -with babies I turn the heaters on if the weather forecast is less than around 40F-they are tougher than one would think.  

Stephan

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2004, 06:39:39 »
some beans spotted on our site in whitley bay last night - could be climbing french or runners.   :o

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2004, 06:44:09 »
Thanks, Stephan - so I shouldn't be so protective around the 50F mark. Just as well - put some cus out yesterday, & it's coooold!! = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal