Author Topic: Dwarf runners and frenchies  (Read 3275 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Dwarf runners and frenchies
« on: April 26, 2004, 22:12:52 »
I sense a series of dumb blonde questions coming from me over the next few weeks as things start to get out into the ground.  So let battle commence.  

I have some dwarf runners and dwarf french beans.  Even tho they are shorties, will they need some sort of support, similar to broadbeans, or do I just grow in a row and they look after themselves?

Thanks all.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 22:13:17 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Dwarf runners and frenchies
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 22:17:58 »
EJ, never done the runners, but my frenchies always seem to support each other, but have been known to plonk in twigs cos I was worried, and had planted them too far apart!  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 22:31:50 »
ooo, so close-ish planting huh.  That's what I like to hear.  ;D  Thanks DP, will keep some pea sticks back incase I get worried and gales are forecast. ::)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 22:36:28 »
The one lot of dwarf runners (Hestia) I put in a hanging basket and tubs. No support required.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 23:39:05 »
Dunno about dwarf runners, but dwarf french beans, I think, like to be in blocks rather than rows.  Better pollination, I read - not that I've tried rows!  :)  And they support themselves.

All best, Gavin

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 07:12:26 »
I found last year without support the beans do tend to hang in the mud a bit.  If you can get over that then they can support themselves planted closely together :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 08:52:11 »
Grew Hestia (runners) last year - fairly self-supportive, but I did lay permeable fabric along the row to stop any splashing.

Unfortunately, quite opposite to Helen Yemm's quote in the  Telegraph, the fabric gave the weeds a really cosy place to grow!! = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 12:46:12 »
Aha, block planting, my fave.  Now I am going to have to work out where!  A row I coulda slipped in, but a block.   :o

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 14:16:03 »
Opps sorry EJ, I meant to tell you I too plant mine in blocks!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 18:36:06 »
Do you plant non-dwarf? french beans in blocks - sigh, yes, I too feel an attack of anxiety and dumbness. With a bit of desperation thrown in.
cheers, suzy

NickG

• Noob
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 18:51:13 »
Hello all first post.

I was wondering how far apart the beans should be planted from one another when in blocks?

Thanks

Nick

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 19:12:32 »
Hi NickG - and welcome!

I sow my dwarf French beans about 6-8 inches apart, in an XXXX pattern.  Seems to work.

Climbing French, campanula?  Not in blocks - I don't think, at least - I was going to try some this year - 6 inches apart, in drills about 12 inches apart.

Good luck - Gavin

NickG

• Noob
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 10:46:27 »
Thanks Gavin, will give this a go.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 13:14:40 »
On pollenation of French beans - I don't think it's a problem.

To quote the HDRA:

The flowers are perfect and self-pollinating, but have to be tripped to set seed. As they are inbreeders (that is, they self-pollinate), you can save seed from just a few plants – it is better, though, if you grow as many plants as possible as you may need to rogue and select – we recommend around 20 plants.

- the reverse is true of runners, which are very promiscuous, again, from the HDRA

The flowers are perfect and self-pollinating, but have to be tripped (usually by bees) to set seed. As runner beans are outbreeders it is important to grow as many plants as possible to maintain the health and diversity of the variety; a minimum of 20 to 30 if possible. Runner beans also need constant selection to keep them true to type

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 15:29:04 »
Isn't there a subtle difference between scarlet flowered runners and the rest? I've seen suggestions that pink / white flowered varieties self-pollinate much more successfully than the red flowered ones - or have I misunderstood this?
Sumer is a coming in....

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 16:04:26 »
White flowered varieties are reputed to set seed better than red but both can be difficult ynder hot dry conditions

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004, 18:07:18 »
Never tried `dwarf` runners- but as for dwarf French Beans just sow them and leave them to themselves.

Stephan.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004, 18:46:58 »
Definitely agree with Stephan about Dwarf French Beans.  I grew them in my first veggie garden, with no advice other than that on the packet, and had terrific results, leaving them to their own devices!

Have to admit to being devastated when I cooked the purple ones only to find they turned green tho!  ;D
Muddy Boots

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2004, 12:35:28 »
They are a good variety for freezing though - when they go green, they are blanched & can be frozen.
Sumer is a coming in....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal