Author Topic: Port and Sherry?  (Read 2526 times)

Yellow Petals

Port and Sherry?
« on: January 15, 2007, 16:18:16 »
I'm not knowledgable at all about alcohol so I was hoping somebody could help me with my sherry v port question.

I have a recipe which says it needs 3 tablespoons of port but we don't have any because nobody in this house drinks it.

We do, however, have a bottle of sherry and I was wondering if that could be used instead?  Is there a huge difference in taste between the two? (If this is a really stupid question I apologise but I just do not know)

If it makes any difference, the meat will be duck.

Appreciate the help, thanks.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Port and Sherry?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 16:29:58 »
Yes there is a very big difference in taste it would be better to use a red wine with a fairly strong/rich fruity taste as a substitute for port. The alcohol content doesn't matter as it will be burnt off during cooking anyway.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 17:26:23 »
Perhaps try deglazing with red wine then adding some plum or damson jam? I do.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 17:39:10 »
If it's to be added to the pan for deglazing, then I'm sure it will make little difference whether you use port, sherry, or any other wine or fortified wine!  Or vegetable stock, for that matter.

If it's to make something like a Cumberland sauce, then it will make a difference to the taste, but it won't necessarily be worse - just different.

Either way, I say go for it.  :)

Yellow Petals

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 18:03:45 »
Hi All,  thank you for your quick responses (trust me to not realise I was missing a main ingredient until I came to preparation  ::) )

I have indeed used three tablespoons of red wine.  At the moment it's sitting in a bowl marianating with garlic, coriander, mint, orange juice, honey, dried cherries and shallots which then gets added to some penne, sliced apple and segmented orange pieces and last but not least, the duck!

I hope it tastes as nice as it looks/smells, LOL

Thanks again  :)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 23:51:48 »
I hope it tastes as nice as it looks/smells, LOL

... well... did it, YP?   :P :P

Yellow Petals

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 23:55:06 »
Erm...... no  :P :-\

Not for me I'm afraid.  I have to say that adding the orange and apple segments isn't really to my fancy but I followed the recipe anyway.
I did eat mine but just don't think I will have it again.
Husband ate all of his.
Son ate all of it except the dried cherries (which really surprised me because I thought he wouldn't like it at all)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal