Author Topic: Tricyrtis (Toad Lily)  (Read 1708 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Tricyrtis (Toad Lily)
« on: January 01, 2007, 15:51:20 »
I've had my Toad Lily in a pot for two years so I think it will probably need potting on into fresh compost and a slightly larger pot soon.  (I simply top dressed it last year.)  I'm assuming I should do this when it's dormant:  would now be okay or should I wait until March?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Tricyrtis (Toad Lily)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 21:38:19 »
I've never tried these, but I've always fancied them from a distance. You've now goaded me into ordering seeds of two species (macropoda and hirta) from Chiltern Seeds.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 21:48:19 »
Always good to be an inspiration, Robert. :D  Mine is formosana and I'd still like to know when is the best time to pot it on.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 23:13:29 »
I would tend to wait until the spring when the weather gets warmer and the plant is ready to start into growth again. You can also divide it at the same time.
If you repot it now there is a good chance that you will damage some of the roots These will rot if it stays wet or could be killed when we get some decent frost.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 15:49:09 »
Thanks Toadspawn, that's really hepful.   :)

G x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 22:57:35 »
The seeds came today. They need stratifying, and as it's too late to give them an initial warm period without mucking about, they probably won't be up till spring 2008. Meanwhile they'll be sitting in a cold frame along with a lot of other slow-germinating stuff.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 17:50:37 »
Hope they grow well for you, Robert.   :)

G x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 18:52:17 »
So do I; since they sent proper advice for germinating them I'm probably going to buy more of these slow-germinating things off them. I'll be annoyed if none of them come up!

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 11:35:08 »
Bought a toad lily when we were at our previous house 'cos it was realy pretty and thought we had just the spot for it. I thought we treated it very nicely, but it was dead within a couple of months!  :'(

Oh, well. Maybe I should have a try next year - after all I'm going to have a go at swede this year, having given up in the old garden after two years of outright failure. ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal