Author Topic: Asparagus crowns - how do I store them until I'm ready to plant?  (Read 3874 times)

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
Mine arrived through in the post today - didn't think they'd be here this soon so the bed I plan to put them in isn't even dug yet!

What should I do with them in the mean time? Leave them in the box somewhere dark? Pot them up temporarily?

Help!

Tabby

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Asparagus crowns - how do I store them until I'm ready to plant?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 22:44:33 »
HI

I would go with the potting up temporaraly and making sure it does not become 2 wet or dry.

Cambourne7

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 22:45:23 »
Keep them dark & cool but frost free. I had mine stuffed under the greenhouse staging for a month before they got planted, they were fine

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 23:10:37 »
when I spoke to the guy from Seeds of Italy he said the delay in sending asparagus this year was due to the mild weather.
He said that they go dormant at low temperatures allowing them to be dug up and moved - if kept cold they will stay dormant and unharmed until they warm up. If they are kept somewhere warmer they will start to grow shoots and the danger is that the new growth is vunerable to frost and could die back stunting the plant and risking disease.
They keep them in refrigerated storage until required - sometimes for a couple of months

Glow

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 23:13:29 »
Thanks everyone,

Shall remove them from the plastic bag they came in and pop them in the garage where it's dark and cold.

Tabby

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal