Author Topic: Manor Garden Allotments VS 2012 Olympics  (Read 27774 times)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
Re: Manor Garden Allotments VS 2012 Olympics
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 16:18:55 »
Done. It makes me so sad to think of all that work being destroyed. :'( :'(

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 16:38:53 »
My Grandparents lived in Stratford and I used to visit them during the school holidays duringg the 50's. signed it. Ty Dan for letting us know about it. Why the hell do some folks seem intent on ruining peoples lives. Life has enough problems without them adding their two pennorth
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 17:33:08 »
I've been following this story for a while now and think it's very sad.  Especially given that these Olympics have been heralded as being "sustainable" - ie: being good value for the future!  Try telling that to the people who have been displaced by all of it.  Jobs, homes and these allotments are all to be swept away for something nobody I know actually gives a sh*t about!

The govt are quick to herald all the renewal of the east end - but sadly the only things they don't care about is the people who actually live there - and have done so for generations when nobody wanted to live there!  Long before city yuppies with get-rich-quick-bonuses to spend, pushed up house prices to stupid levels!

Personally I think it would be wonderful to see all this renewal - and slap bang in the middle of it these allotments - showing that real Londoners still have the chance to grow good healthy food in soil that generations of their forebearers have cultivated! 

Unfortunately - the planners look set to do what Hitler and his bombs never managed - and that is to destroy this little part of the east end!

So please sign this petition and write or e-mail your own MP asking him/her to oppose this land grab!

Support your fellow growers - because next time it might be yours they are after!

Louise

Grow yer bugger grow!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 17:33:59 »
If places like that can be threatened then we're all vulnerable. gRRR!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 17:57:42 »
done - and sent the url to Gordon so that he can sign up too.  I only hope we can, collectively, stop this idiocy happening!

Tricia

moonbeam

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 18:04:16 »
Will sign petition and send letter from our allotment association in Dundee.

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 18:07:43 »
I know, playing the devil's advocate but...

Many allotment sites look so bad they would do better to be demolished.
Its not suprising that so many have already become housing or industrial estate  to date with the state they have become. This may be one of these type of sites????

I am  not  saying this site is bad, rough OR should be flattened !!!!. I Don't Know the area, but we can not have a eyesore in the middle of the Olympic site.
Personally i would like to see it made into a feature area and with funding and pride could be done so and accommodated.

I hope the campaign is successful and have signed up.

Good luck

jlottie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 18:18:58 »
Done. They need all the support that they can get.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 18:19:48 »
Done.  Thanks, Dan, for bringing it to our attention.  We need to stand together on this.

lost the plot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 18:37:59 »
Done,  I will get others to add there names.
I do agree with Travman that they should make it a feature and give some funding to the site. Allotments are an British way of life for many, let show the world, it could be used as a way of promoting GYO in the UK and other countries. It might even help stop the closing of allotments for developments.

Lets hope something good comes of this

Clare

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 18:46:48 »
I've signed - thanks for the email Dan.  I've bookmarked the site and will look through other petitions when I have more time - I didn't know anything about epetitions before.  It will be interesting to see what happens re the MGA.  I would love to think that the petition will make a difference and bring about some creative thinking but....  Getting old and getting more cynical every day! :(
Weeds? What weeds?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 18:48:52 »
all done, thanks, dan

Beryl

• Not So New ...
    • The Saunders Allotment
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 18:55:59 »
done - I have signed the petition
Beryl.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 19:09:06 »
Just done it with all diff names on all different screen names I have will AOL.

I will tell my mum later she voted! ;D

halibut-t

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 19:11:21 »
I've signed the petition, and have also just had a look at the website (link from Dan's post about Wembley Stadium) and found this piece of hypocrisy, to make your blood boil a bit more:

"A sustainable games
London 2012 will be based on a strong sense of the concept of sustainability - a concept which is the essence of delivering a lasting legacy, benefiting sport, the environment and the local and global community.

The 500-acre site will be transformed from being one of the most under-developed in the country to one with restored natural ecology and new infrastructure providing the setting for sustainable communities.

London 2012 will be a Games which aims to deliver on environmental objectives and carbon use, biodiversity and waste.

Other sustainability benefits will be realised through the emphasis on accessibility and inclusion, creating job and training opportunities for disadvantaged people and engaging local people in the planning of the Games and legacy facilities.

The community regeneration inspired by London 2012 will provide a springboard for reducing health inequalities in east London and for encouraging people across the country to take up sport and develop active, healthy lifestyles."

like having an allotment, for instance??? >:(

Signed loads of them, this included.

The info quoted above would seem like juicy news to a local newspaper or any of the glossy vegetable magazines, has anyone thought of or is able to progress this issue with the media types?

Good Luck.
Only dead fish go with the flow!

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 19:21:31 »
Signed the petition. My uncle and aunt have three plots on the site. I visited the site last summer and its brillaint with so many different nationalities sharing their passion for growing and swapping plants and ideas. 
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 19:22:08 »
Done   doesn't it make  your blood boil that anyone wants to take the allotments away in the first place >:(
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 19:36:35 »
Dan: thanks so much for publicising this. Have added my name: now I'm passing on the info to everyone I know with an allotment (many aren't computer people: I shall go back to the Manor Gardens site and scout out a postal address to write to).

Will also jog over to my friendly local trading hut before the weekend with a notice and beg them to put it on the door. And I'll put the word out if I see anyone else on my site, though in this weather it's pretty empty.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2007, 19:41:52 »
*drags up soapbox*

Please watch this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-aNwauzO3Y

No one who's ever grown so much as a sunflower from seed could see this site and think that it's an eyesore, could they?

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 20:05:07 »
Me and OH done too, it so makes my blood boil, such a short term view, based ultimately on party politics will do for this beautiful planet, b*******  >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal