Author Topic: Manor Garden Allotments VS 2012 Olympics  (Read 27761 times)

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Manor Garden Allotments VS 2012 Olympics
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:33:44 »
This issue has been brought to my attention, and I thought we as a community should offer our support.

Extracts from the press release:

David Mackay, Author of the original Stratford City plan and lead Architect for the Barcelona Olympic Village and Port - flagged up as the most successful Olympics for regeneration recently - wrote, 'Unfortunately London has lost this opportunity by deciding to agree to cover the existing recreation facilities with the silliest architecture seen for years with no real concern for a legacy. So far as Legacy is concerned we are being asked to look at the Emperor's New Clothes - so delicate that nobody can see them. If carried out, and with only five years to go, the Olympic legacy is more likely to be like a Hollywood set for a ghost town or an abandoned Expo site.'

The eviction date is set to be 2nd April at the latest.

Manor Gardens, bequeathed to be allotments 'in perpetuity' by their original owner the 'Right Hon' Major Villiers, sit in the North central section of the Olympic Park. The LDA plan to remove them to make a footpath to the stadia and now to house a screen, destroying in the process a century of devoted cultivation and a close-knit community rooted in this irreplaceable site. Old timers, Tom and Albert, have been growing veg and keeping fit here for 54 and 58 years respectively, taking over from their fathers. 10 year old Boris, whose parents are members, nags them to come to the plot and wants to hand his plot down to his son. Members trust in the permanence of the site led one plot holder to scatter his brother's ashes on his plot.

However this diverse community of Turks Cypriots, Greeks, Jamaicans, Africans and Brits welcome the potential for regeneration brought by the Olympic development. Rather than being moved out of the way they want to offer their contribution which seems to them to be entirely consistent with the Olympic and Government ambitions. They believe to remove the allotment gardens would be to rip out the 'healthy heart' of the Olympic Park area as well as to fragment the community.

Even if the Manor Gardening community could be protected by relocation there is growing opposition from people local to the relocation site on Marsh Lane fields. If planning permission is granted it would only be for seven years after which the Society may be moved again. Yet it would take at least twenty years, plus the right conditions, to re-establish our current food production levels and to create a similarly viable community.

As plot holder Armagan and her friend Cavide said, 'We could make the London Olympics different from all other Olympics. Having the allotments in the Olympic Park and preserving them for the Legacy Park would send out the message world wide that the UK really does care after all.'

But do the LDA and the Mayor care about local grown initiatives even when they are successful examples, like Manor Garden Allotments, of the Governments own strategies such as the London Food and the Biodiversity Strategies?

Writer and supporter of the campaign to incorporate the allotments, Iain Sinclair says, 'We don't want it (the Olympic Park) imagining for us. We don't want it over-imagined. We want to imagine it for ourselves. Please preserve the soul of the place as represented by the beautiful Manor Garden Allotments.

A petition has been set up, which I hope you will take the time to sign,

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Incorporate rather than demolish Manor Garden Allotments within the 2012 Olympic site.

Thanks for reading.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 15:42:19 by Admin aka Dan »

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Manor Garden Allotments VS 2012 Olympics
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:46:38 »
Done.

There are several initiatives about this.  It's very sad that so much investment of time and care in the allotments is to be casually swept away for the sake of a couple of weeks of crude entertainment.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 11:02:33 »
Done
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 11:03:24 »
Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all. I took part in summer mountain bike races that have been held weekly for 13 years (summers) at Eastway Cycle Circuit. The area is (or is being) demolished for the Olympic area despite protests and petitions by naturalists and cyclists alike and the fact that the circuit contained a bird and wildlife santuary (or whatever it's called here, sorry don't know the official designation). It was a protected area, we were never allowed to cut new paths for riding - yet all that was thrown out for the Olympics. The area is gone now as far as I know, there was a last hoorah event by the cyclists in October. They can build a new velodrome but will never get back the wildlife. :(

Tina.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:04:58 by timelady »

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
dito
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:04:05 »
Hi

My parents are in the area and i was on the waiting list there for a short time years ago. I have filled the form out and i have passed the details on to our village as well.

That system http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ is quite cool i found some other petitions that i have also signed 

Cambourne7

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 11:23:44 »
I have signed the petition, but how about some personal letters to Ken?  Contact details are as follows:

The Public Liaison Unit (PLU) deals with all enquiries and correspondence on behalf of the Mayor and any enquiry requiring a response must be made in writing.

By email: mayor@london.gov.uk

Postal Address:

Ken Livingstone
Mayor of London
Greater London Authority
City Hall
The Queen's Walk
More London
London SE1 2AA

Telephone: 020 7983 4100 
Minicom: 020 7983 4458
Fax: 020 7983 4057

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:42:20 »
Done! Thanks for the reminder Dan, was reading about this a few days ago but the government link wasn't working then >:(

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 12:11:57 »
Done.  Thanks for prompt, Dan.  Guess we can only dream about an Allotment Pentathalon in future Olympics - Digging, Hoeing, Weeding, Pruning and "Erecting" - all on speed trials!!  Joking apart tho it is a very serious situation.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 12:16:10 »
I have signed and also found this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-aNwauzO3Y

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 12:20:23 »
Done! Thanks for sending the reminder out Dan, otherwise i might have missed this important message. x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 12:34:32 »
Clicked on the e-mailed link but nothing happened??

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 12:48:52 »
Thanks Dan. Enough to make you weep :-\

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 13:38:37 »
I've signed the petition, and have also just had a look at the website (link from Dan's post about Wembley Stadium) and found this piece of hypocrisy, to make your blood boil a bit more:

"A sustainable games
London 2012 will be based on a strong sense of the concept of sustainability - a concept which is the essence of delivering a lasting legacy, benefiting sport, the environment and the local and global community.

The 500-acre site will be transformed from being one of the most under-developed in the country to one with restored natural ecology and new infrastructure providing the setting for sustainable communities.

London 2012 will be a Games which aims to deliver on environmental objectives and carbon use, biodiversity and waste.

Other sustainability benefits will be realised through the emphasis on accessibility and inclusion, creating job and training opportunities for disadvantaged people and engaging local people in the planning of the Games and legacy facilities.

The community regeneration inspired by London 2012 will provide a springboard for reducing health inequalities in east London and for encouraging people across the country to take up sport and develop active, healthy lifestyles."

like having an allotment, for instance??? >:(

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 14:25:01 »
Done.

dottyjan

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 14:36:50 »
Done Outrage !!!!!!!!!!!>:(ous

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 15:02:10 »
Done... might even write a letter...
 >:(

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 15:06:54 »
Done.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 15:23:34 »
I couldn,t get the link either
:'( :'( :'(
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Sharodes

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 16:04:53 »
Have signed the petition.  Would be a shame to lose a site that has been worked by a community for so long.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 16:12:47 »
done , must help fellow allotmenteers, article in KG magazine this month/ shades x
grow your own way

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal