Author Topic: Growing Brussels Sprouts  (Read 5859 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Growing Brussels Sprouts
« on: January 09, 2007, 17:25:11 »
Having grown cabbages for a few years, this year i have decided for a change to try Sprouts. I need some advice on growing them please; best variety to grow (compact if possible), seed or young plants from nursery, planting distances cropping, care etc

Thanks

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Re: Growing Brussels Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 18:02:06 »
As new to the allotment game I grew BS I didn't do too bad got a crop for two dinners as alot of them blew which I have since read make sure they are well packed into the soil so thats my tip ! Not sure if its true of not of course.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 18:05:31 »
I have been having some mixed results over the last few years and have been trying different varieties. Trouble is you have to wait another year before you know if you have found a 'good un'

I tried 'Maximus' last year and I am quite pleased with them. They are not too big i.e. up to about 1"-1ΒΌ" diameter and quite solid. ( see picture)

This is how I grow mine; http://tinyurl.com/yb5wcn

Incidently my soil is fairly light hence the canes.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 18:06:13 »
PSB (Purple Sprouting Broccoli) is a better return on time and effort if you are branching out into other brassicas. Sprouts do need a lot of time and a heavy soil...
 :-\
Those look great TG

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 18:13:02 »
Thanks.

I should add that I do have quite heavy soil, and have an area 1.5m x1m to grow them in.

Also i dont like broccoli, but really like sprouts!

Do i get the feeling though that they are the brassica equivalent of broad beans - you need to grow a lot of plants to get a decent crop?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 18:15:29 »
Thanks for that Saddad

I have gone off Purple sprouting and gone on to Calabrese I have found  that Chevalier & Samson keeps me in Heads and spears for 6-8 weeks, and sometimes more.

I find Chevalier heads just a bit quicker than Samson meaning that by the time I have eaten the primary heads from the Chevalier the second batch (Samson) is ready, then by the time I have finshed these, the spears are ready on the first lot, followed by the second batch.

Then if I ensure they don't flower I can be picking for weeks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 18:22:11 »
I hate to disagree with anyone, but I can't agree that Sprouts need more care than, say, PSB.

Both, when home grown, seem to need staking thoroughly. PSB even more than Sprouts. Good, solid, long-lasting stakes. Both need repetitive picking.

Yes, Sprouts are more prone to crawlies than PSB, but plant for plant, weight for weight, surely give as good a return, or better?

And while we are about it, why always PSB? Why not WSB? Much sweeter, & a nicer colour!!

Finally - was just going to say  http://www.fothergills.co.uk/en/brussels-sprouts-maximus-f1-848.aspx  - but TG beat me to it. With some pretty damned good examples!

And having just seen (can't type fast enough) the follow-ups, surely Calabrese doesn't overwinter & into the Spring? Different kettle of fish??
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 18:25:19 by tim »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 18:30:24 »
we grow early half tall sprouts and falstaff, a red one, and red bull, another red one, we got brilliant results, weeded the ground, limed it, raked the lime in, stomped on it, planted the sprout, already grown, stomped it in, put a cabbage collar round it, staked it and kept stomping them in if the wind was very bad
we got loads, off 5 plants, the red ones did nothing, don't know wh  :)
also covered with netting, didn't stop the whitefly though  :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 18:39:58 »
Maybe it's all this 'stomping' that Dad's going on about??

What, please, are 1/2 tall Sprouts? Worth it??

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 18:42:25 »
well, ours  were 4 feet tall and covered top to bottom, a few of the bottom ones blew so we picked them off and the rest were fine, just called early half tall, nice taste  :)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 18:49:42 »
Just to say I echo Tim's words another good variety that I have grown is F1 Doric I have found with sprouts that you can plant them at 2ft apart where PSB needs 2 1/2 ft.Thats about 60cm and 75cm  for them that do not know English.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 20:07:27 »
If 4' is 1/2 tall, I'm back to the drawing board!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 21:58:18 »
We do White sprouting and 9* perennial as well. You can still find it but I find it only lasts two or three years...
 ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 22:33:02 »
Firm ground and staking, in my opinion, are most important with sprouts.  They you should get nice full stems of tight sprouts.  I grow red and green.  Last year we had more reds than greens, and funnily enough manic, this year the reds haven't done as much.

I think everyone will have a different opinion of what is their fave sprout.  Harvest dates might be something to think about if you want them for Christmas dinner, or November, or February for example.  You can get sprouts to cover several months.  And you don't need masses of plants for masses of meals.  You see how many sprouts are on each of TG's plants, and they will be good sized sprouts which need little cleaning up, will be crisp and nutty.  One plant will do several meals, and you have the brussel tops which are a delicacy in themselves.

I also do 9*, WSB, PSB and calabrasse.  I do love my greens.  Had the last of the romanesco tonight, delicious, although don't shout, but it was in a veggie curry.  :P

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 23:18:24 »
Grown peter gynt 2 years running. Not too good a crop on my old plot. They're a dwarf variety.
Gonna try Fill Basket this year. Large sprouts!

Sprout varieties:
Peter gynt - Crops Sept-Jan
Diablo - early crop
Igor - vigorous plants producing good yields
Wellington - Very hardy. Crops Dec-Mar
Braveheart - Crops xmas to spring
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 00:41:33 »
Seem to always have lots of white fly round my brassicas.  This year I took advice from EJ and grew "Brilliant" brussel sprouts and they were brilliant! I have still plenty left and had masses for the Christmas dinner.  They were nice and firm and were a lovely tasting sprout, so will be doing the same variety again this year.   :) busy_zlizzie
live your days not count your years

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 16:59:19 »
A good dwarf sprout that I grow is Seven Hills:
http://www.eseeds.com/c-4027-brassica-oleracea-var-gemmifera-seven-hills.aspx
http://www.kingsseeds.com/kolist/1/VEGETABLES/B/BRUSSELS+SPROUT
Nice compact plants that fill nicely with sprouts that can be planted closer together and don't get blown around so much.  None of mine have blown ulike half my full sized plants and the only trouble I had was slugs and snails when they first went in and white fly as a cosmetic problem from late summer.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 17:04:02 »
I grew brussel sprouts for the first time this year - tried to grow some red ones but they were pretty feeble. Perhaps it was a bad year for reds and not just me! Will try green ones next year!

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 17:43:17 »
I don't want to think of having no brussels sprouts in the garden. My vegetable garden is at the bottum of the dunes, so always strong westen wind (storm at the moment ;D ) and I have of course so close to the beach sandy soil. In november I dig in lots ans lots of manure and just before planting I stamp the soil a lot.  With all that manure and compost ( from the compost bin) it feels like clay ;D. I plant always in the direction south- north and in 2 rows. No staking at all is needed.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 11:51:13 »
Thanks for replies. The whole matter seems a lot clearer now (i think). I think i had better start cross referencing this thread with a seed catalogue, and try to decide what one i want to grow!

Just a note on growing brassicas; as i mentioned above i normaly grow cabbages, usualy spring and summer croppers> However last year i had trouble with my winter cabbages (they bolted), and whilst the summer ones grew OK (once protected from caterpillars and pigeons), they crop at a time when we dont really want to eat them! Salads are the norm in summer not cooked veg, so while we ate some of the cabbages, a lot went to waste.

Thus i have decided to try something different. I dont like broccoli and cauliflowers are too like cabbages in terms of cropping. So having recently discovered sprouts to eat, I decided to try them out. Later cropping means they should be ready at a time we will want to eat them. They also strike me as a good, long term crop needing minimal attention aother than staking and watering. Which i a plus in my book!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal