Author Topic: Whiter than white!  (Read 1449 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Whiter than white!
« on: January 09, 2007, 11:50:45 »
Anyone with salsify and scorzonera still in the ground?
I'm going to cut off the shoots of about half of them, and cover with a large bucket to blanch for early salad leaves (well, once the wind has died down ::)). Not tried it before, but made a note from last year's seed packet :)

Anyone else done this?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Whiter than white!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:18:15 »
Mine are still in the ground, but only because I wasn't well over Christmas. They'll be coming out as soon as I get a chance to sort them.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 13:59:08 »
Haven't blanched salsify or scorzerona, but do intend to have a go with beetroots that have been left in for the leaves that come early in spring - the leaves are nice anyway, but thought I might give it a try to see how they blanch.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 17:12:55 »
Might give it a go Supersprout... on that half tamed lottie with the Salsify problem!
 ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 22:38:12 »
Ooo Jen, didn't know you could do that with beets.  I still have a half row in so I might pull a couple of nice big 'uns then blanch the rest.  I do still have scorzerona in the ground, but only because I never manage to dig the flipping thing all out and it regrows!  So the leaves, raw or cooked??

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 23:04:35 »
Not  sure I follow this, the beets are being blanched?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 05:29:20 »
Scorzy leaves - I'm going to try raw first EJ :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 16:45:20 »
Jen, I had a couple of beets that I had flung in the trug with the parsnips and the were completely covered by the snips, and when I found them earlier, sure enough, lovely small baby pink leaves!   Defo going to take pots up to the plot and cover them for those leaves.

Okay SS, I will do the same then.  One day I hope to have dug up the moster plant, not invasive, just  a looooooooooooooooooooong tap root which I always manage to snap!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal