Author Topic: Needed 6mm perspex/acrylic glass  (Read 2052 times)

ted72

• Quarter Acre
Needed 6mm perspex/acrylic glass
« on: November 08, 2006, 18:39:59 »
Hi there,

i know its probably a long shot but does anybody have a piece around 9 inch by 7 inch that they could sell to me or know anybody who sells a piece similar size at a reasonable price.

I attend a wood work class and we are making our first project of a simple box and I have decided make my lid out of this material if I can get hold of some. So the box can be used by my son to hold his collection of treasured collection of precious stones.

many thanks

trina x
never drive faster than angels can fly

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
Re: Needed 6mm perspex/acrylic glass
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:05:04 »
Nice to hear that someone is doing woodwork these days.

I doubt if 6mm acrylic is readily available, but certainly 3mm is.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

ted72

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 16:58:37 »
Yes been looking on web and only seems to be available in large sheets.

If cant obtain any I will probably turn the box upside down and use the 6mm side as base because I have some plywood that thickness then will go talk nice to my step dad for some 4mm ish acrylic glass instead.

Thanks for your comment about me attending wood work classes larkshall.I have always loved making things and thought it was about time I learnt to do it properly.

I just adore things that are made from wood, especially toys, being a nursery nurse they are much nicer to set out and play with than some of the plastic rubbish available.

Any way I reckon there is going to be a big turn around so far as crafts and woodworking are involved, it is due a revival.

Just look at how popular allotments and growing your own has become, thank goodness I got in at my lotti before there was a waiting list because I reckon those on it at present will be waiting a while now.

ted72

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 22:45:58 »
Hi just thought I would post a photo of the completed box containing my son's treasured collection.

Think santa got a little carried away with the ones he sent for stocking fillers because its almost overflowing.

My next project is going to be a plant stand containing shelves ofr some square baskets.

hope you all like it... Kayden is chuffed to bits with it

trina

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 11:00:53 »
brilliant box, now you'll have to make a bigger one,

"I just adore things that are made from wood, especially toys, being a nursery nurse they are much nicer to set out and play with than some of the plastic rubbish available."

that's what our business used to be, before ill health put paid to it, Ray used to make, from birch ply, inset puzzles, some carriculum based, for schools, nurseries and hospitals, I used to paint them all, we supplied places like Great Ormond Street Hospital and Jimmies, Ray loves working with wood, he misses it so much, but can't stand for long enough to do much

it's a lovely medium to work with, wood, and there are still some of them around, even after 4 years   :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 11:54:48 »
Snap! Manic'. I've been making wooden 'puzzles' for many years. Some in solid form, and some flat. The flat ones are usually MDF for strength and are all sorts of shapes for fitting back into the board to make a picture. The solid wood ones I usually cut using a simple jig-saw puzzle joining. Kids love em. As soon as I make one it's gone! Must remember to take pics! Although I draw them out first so I at least have the paper copy. Bit bisy with my walking sticks at the moment but I intend to get back to the puzzles and use up the odd bits of wood filling the shelves!
I'm just about done making a coat hanger in the form of an expanding cat, that should be a bit different!
It's a pity your OH can't continue with what is a very satisfying hobby.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 12:12:05 »
we used to do a coat hanger for kids, mummy pig and 6 baby pigs, or rather, their bottoms, the hook fitted where the tails were, we used to have quite a large business, one of them was to explain cancer to children in hospital , have fun with it :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal