Author Topic: Shelving  (Read 2655 times)

Leadlotus

• Not So New ...
  • Love Gardening- Caravaning- Photography
Shelving
« on: January 26, 2007, 11:01:22 »
Hi Folks
Well i told you the other week about the carry on i had replacing glass (re Stupid)a couple of weeks ago. Well while i was at it i thought i would alter my shelving where the toms had been last year, the toms will be moved to my wifes allotment greenhouses.
So i went to B&Q to buy another 4 packs of  2" x 1" and from the photo attached you can see the new shelves on the side, and my new additional shelves at the end of the greenhouse.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l60/leadlotus/garden/P1010006.jpg
So now i have another three shelves about two feet square.
What do you think?

Billy
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 11:14:05 by Leadlotus »

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
Re: Shelving
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:10:57 »
They look great! I'm hoping to do something similar in my shed and greenhouse

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 16:32:13 »
Did you buy the wood and make them yourself Billy or were they in a kit
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 00:03:36 »
I did something similar last autumn, got several packs of sawn 25x50mm from B&Q and made up three units. One with four shelves to go into the end, two with two shelves to go into the sides of the 8x6 greenhouse. All three units are free standing so they can be taken out when not required.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 00:22:34 »
Excellent - just what I need.  Am hoping something might come up on our freecycle.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 09:57:53 »
I used the frame from an old zip-up greenhouse for shelving in my allotment shed. The plastic cover got trashed by the storms the other wek but the frame was okay. Garden centre wanted £8 for a new cover, Focus were selling new greenhouses for £12! So I bought a new greenhouse and hey presto, gained myself a 4-tier shelving unit!

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 11:54:49 »
we've used the shelving from our old freezer, tied in to the frame with wires, good for storing pots'n' things, plus ray made me a shelf i can fold down out of an old ironing board  ;D

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 21:14:24 »
Some good ideas here. My twopennorth below. The shelf isn't fastened to the bracket but rests on it. The angle of the chain keeps it pressed against the wall/strut/whatever. For aluminium greenhouses, using cropped head bolts means the shelf is almost instantly adjustable or removeable. Timber frames will need screws of course, and are not quite as instant. The steel brackets are available from any ironmonger, or possibly one of the sheds at a grossly inflated price. Ditto the chain. Hanging basket chain seems to do the job ok. 4ft centres is enough for general use.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal