Author Topic: Garden Birds  (Read 3503 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Garden Birds
« on: April 25, 2004, 23:55:42 »
I have just sent of my weekly counts for the number of birds visiting my garden this past week and quite impressed at the number of different birds  which have visited.  The amount is 24.  For some reason my garden is always busy this time of year and continues well into the summer before the numbers go down again.  Blackbird, Song thrush, Mistle thrush, Starling, House Sparrow, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Wren, Sparrowhawh, Red Legged Partridge, heron, Yellow Hammer, wood Pigeon, Pied Wagtail, Brambling, Pheasant, Jackdaw, rook Dunnockand Robin.  Now if only the G.S. Woodpecker and Long tailed tit would visit, now that would make my day, or even a Nuthatch.  

I feed the Birds all summer and the RSPB encourage us to continue to do this but not put out whole peanuts or hard bread.  The Adult birds are helped with us doing this so that they can feed their young but know that they can get fed easily at the 'Service Station'.  I always make sure clean water is out too.  The Birds do give me a lot of pleasure but I am afraid to say my houswork suffers.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Garden Birds
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 06:45:19 »
We clock up about 19 - but many of those are few & far between. Counting a pair of ducks that called in!

But they still aren't using the 'hotel' properly. = Tim

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 10:31:58 »
Our visitors flatly decline to have anything to do with food put out in the guests dining areas and confine their attention to the staff canteen (the hens food troughs), so, pace RSPB, they aren't getting the correct food, but they sseem happy enough.
Sumer is a coming in....

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 14:34:17 »
My crows soak their bread in the bird bath before heading off with it.What a mess they make but who cares?
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

SueM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 11:41:38 »
We don't get much variety in our garden, but have had occasional visits from peacocks from the nearby park.

Sue

SueM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 11:42:46 »
I see the censor has been busy on my post. I expect everyone can work out what "peathingys" are!

Sue

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 12:57:29 »
Cor!  I would be sooooooooooooooooo excited f peac*cks came into my garden!!  I just love that haunting noise they make.  We have blue t*ts in and out of our new nesting box - fingers crossed. (course, as I have no idea what the difference is between great, long tailed or blue t*ts, they could be anything!!  :-\)

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 14:12:49 »
Im an expert on tits
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

viv

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 11:23:20 »
we have four baby starlings at the moment - obviously Mum has brought them in to show them where the local fast food restaurant is!

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 22:35:55 »
We have baby starlings as well.  It was really comical to watch them standing on the edge of our pond, wanting a bath but not quite knowing how to do it without sinking.  Then a friendly blackbird came along and showed them the way to the stream which runs down into our pond and they were well away then :)  We also have a variety of birds visiting at the moment, greenfinches, goldfinch, chaffinch, robin, collared doves, house and tree sparrows, blackbirds,and saw one little wren.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 18:12:03 »
All the babies seem to be coming into our garden at the moment.  A few weeks back we had a wee baby blackbird who really was too small to be out and about, so he lived in my flower bed with mum and dad coming and protecting him and feeding him.  He still comes in daily, still a little scrawny, but flying now and stronger.  Now it has happened again, as you can see from this pic.  One baby blackbird living in my garden, far to weak to be out of the nest, no tail yet, and the dam cat next door keeps stalking it!  Mum and dad really do make a noise when they spot the cat and literally chase it out of the garden.    Actually, now I look at the photo, the baby looks all fat and butch, but he really isn't.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 21:29:13 »
We have had baby sparrows and greenfinches in our garden but I haven't seen any baby blackbirds yet.  Last year, we had 5 baby blackbirds who were as mad as hatters - screeching and jumping all over the place.  They were totally nuts !!!
It was quite entertaining to watch their mad antics - anybody else witnessed this ?

Debs ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal