Author Topic: How far North will watermelon grow?  (Read 5575 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: How far North will watermelon grow?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 14:36:43 »
Sprout I reckon Sunny Barnsley.    ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Re: How far North will watermelon grow?
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 14:43:08 »
My mouth's watering just reading about all these melons. Last year I managed 5 fruit ranging between tennis ball and grapefruit size, from 8 plants, all were very tasty but there just wasn't enough of them .

I got so excited and was showing them off to anyone who would let me  ;D I'd planted them as an experiment as I didn't believe I could get them to grow, so I was overjoyed with my harvest. I couldn't help paying them a visit everyday before work to see if they had grown any bigger and whether they were ready to pick.

This year I am planning on growing loads of watermelons (think they are called 'Blacktail mountain'), especially since I saved seed from last year, and more Minnesotta midget. I'm also going to try Petit Gris de Rennes again if I can get my one remaining seed to germinate, I was so disappointed last year that I didn't get any fruit from this one as I'd read somewhere that it is very tasty.  I'm going to try them outside this year and hope that they'll do as well as if not better than last year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal