Author Topic: Bartering  (Read 1464 times)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Bartering
« on: January 03, 2007, 19:56:37 »
A colleague at work is rather impressed with my efforts at 'The Good Life' and is doing his own version by having hens in his garden. They have just started laying, and he has suggested that we may want to exchange goods using the bartering system. I am keen to give it a go, but have explained that I am unlikely to get any significant produce arriving until about June, if he is willing to wait until then.

Has anyone else had experiences along this form of social co-operation?

Little does he realise he may get overwhelmed with courgettes :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 19:58:34 by Curry »
The impossible is just a journey away ...

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Bartering
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 20:07:34 »
I have given things without expecting anything in return. Usually to good neighbours. One lottie holder gave me 24 strawberry plants earlier this year. He said he wanted nothing for them. I bought him a bag pf multipurpose compost and put it next to his shed. He said I needn't of bothered but I felt better for it.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 20:17:27 »
OOh yes. My favourite occupation. ;D Have swapped produce for digging (in the past), and ,indeed, having sourced my own supply of free range eggs locally, offered peelings etc. for now (still paying small price asked) and veg will be offered when available for swaps. I will also offer to look after hens at holiday time for eggs. Gave home made chutters  yesterday for a freecycle offer. Don't like to just take. There is always something I can offer, be it doing,growing or making.  ;)

Did a good swap with neighbour recently, 6 bags of horse poo for 6 bags of leaves. ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 21:27:40 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 20:49:51 »
we swap produce for grass clippings with our elderly neighbours
 cardboard for whatever we can give..
I think it's a great way to get what you need and give away some of your surplus, also, get extra pots and onion sets, give back bags of new potatoes and xtra salad stuff, specially cucumbers in summer  ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 20:11:02 »
Me mate at work gives me a lift home and if I go in to town he goes out of his way a bit so I keep him sweet with a few veggies.    :D :D :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 10:48:27 »
I'd love to do more bartering with artwork, apparently quite a few artists in the US do it.

I have done some swaps, did a couple day dogwalking for a friend who is then going to help me build my shed (and her unknowing hubbie).  I did some computer work for another friend in exchange for him helping me collect the shed with his van. :) I've done web or computer work for people in exchange for car rides places when I need to deliver large or a lot of work somewhere. Not much and all within a small circle of people.

There's actually a whole website for skill swaps, can't remember the name! I've found this one:
http://www.candoexchange.org/ But it's not the one I know...ah ha! It's called LETS, I only have the website for one local to me but I think it might be national: http://www.letsgreenwich.org.uk/

Tina.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 11:17:23 »
We have Allotment Trout and Pheasant in the freezer... an ex colleague who has retired is a keen fisherman and he has a friend who shoots... I take offerings of overspill fruit and veg (he misses his allotment!) and come home with Trout or Pheasant. The old Damson Tree at the back of one allotment is worth it's weight in gold!
 8)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 11:42:07 »
I'm all for that, who wants her, she comes with her own fork and wellies, and as a bonus she will never get your kitchen dirty.  I could do with a younger model preferably with her own rotovator. ;D

Seriously though If I have something to give, I give it, it pays off dividends when I need something there is always someone who would like to return the favour. Not bartering really but it works the same way as cash does not change hands.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 13:11:41 »
I hate cash and would barter wherever possible.

My ongoing barter is tending/digging the neighbours beds, in exchange for the use of her beds !

Saves her the bother (as I don't think i've seen her in the garden since she moved in) and I get valuable growing space.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 15:47:43 »
giving advice, when asked for it :)is always very well received, as well  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 22:58:52 »
We do it all the time on this site - swapshop No problems here
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 20:14:42 »
We give stacks of stuff to 3 neighbours and they really appreciate it, they are all elderly and LOVE the frsh veg and cues toms etc.
We keep telling them the 4 freezers are full already!

Never give away spuds? maybe we should grow more next year.

So many of my customers want to pay me for stuff but I would rather just give it to them because although surplus to our requirements, I gives me great please in giving simply because of the fact that they appreciate fresh stuff with no added mysteries!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal