Author Topic: The rain is never going to stop  (Read 9671 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: The rain is never going to stop
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 14:49:58 »
you never know, there may be free seeds or summat with it, great magazine  :)
I'm also suffering with a nasty cold that won't go, still, soon be spring  ;D

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 15:11:17 »
it rained all day Saturday and was forecast for all day yesterday too but it stayed dry all day ;D managed to dig a few more feet of my first bed – an advantage of light 'valley loam' soil. am trying hard not to think about all the stuff I want to get done in the next few weeks!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 22:34:31 »
At the weekend managed to put up my raised bed for carrots on allotment ( had cut, protected and predrilled wood at home). Filled it with 12 bags compost and 12 bags of sand mixed with growmore and some soil from base of raised bed - plan to add it some more stone free soil shortly. Cut new roof for 2 sheds. Felt pleased but tired.
 Plan for Friday/WE depending on weather to remove roofing felt that is on one shed as all torn, protect wood underneath, put new roof on and re cover shed with roofing felt. My father is making a new door, if it is ready put this on. Second shed re roof.

Its so satisfying ticking off the jobs/ ideas once they are completed. We will have had the allotments for 4 years in February and have put on 2 sheds (one was made from a much larger shed) , 2 also came with 2 of the allotments, put up 3 wooden composts and 3 daleks. Permanent structures for runner beans, 2 areas in cased in polythene (with wooden structure to hold it in place), a large area with fruit, storage area, using pallets to keep things off the ground and made a number of hoops from iron rods and pegs to hold nets and fleece.

I wonder whether there will ever be a time when I can just go and sit down and have a cup of tea. We are often the only ones down there in the cold and rain.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 22:45:32 »
, ....2 also came with 2 of the allotments, ....

Cant have more than one on our site due to length of waiting lists :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 01:30:20 »
Just got home from work the wind as got up a bit, :o we a bit a luck will blow the bloody rain away. ;D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 12:45:25 »
 :-[ no sent more my way :'(

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 13:00:59 »
The rain/mud/rust has now got into the padlock to our lottie site and seized it completely. Not even WD40 will shift it. So now, even genuine plot-holders are legging it over the gate or hopping through the broken bits in the fence.

*groans and prepares to beg council for a new lock*

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 22:52:41 »
The rain/mud/rust has now got into the padlock to our lottie site and seized it completely. Not even WD40 will shift it. So now, even genuine plot-holders are legging it over the gate or hopping through the broken bits in the fence.

Hacksaws at the ready...... ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 22:57:55 »
Weatherman says fine tomorrow for us South Walians ;D ;D ;D

cj :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 22:59:06 »

*groans and prepares to beg council for a new lock*

Or could someone have superglued it? If you go to the Council moaning about vandals, would they be more sympathetic?

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 23:39:06 »
my special waterproof padlocks are now full of water and refuse to lock ..

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 00:07:21 »
Alas, Robert, the council hears us moaning about vandals on a regular basis. But so far, no help at all.  >:(   

*grins in sympathy at mc55 and 'special waterproof padlocks'*

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 14:56:36 »
the rain has stopped   the cold germs are still having their wicked way with me
I,v got telewest laying a new cable across my front gardeb on friday so have been
tracking the old one in case they trample over everything (its only a few inches down and my hellebores are budding) nextdoors daffs are as well
SPRING is trying to come
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 15:25:11 »
I am soaked. >:(

Just got back from a trip to the lottie before working nights, nice and sunny on arrival, happily clearing out greenhouse and shed as too damp to dig......fodoom! Cloudburst, just like someone throwing buckets of water at me!

Laugh as trying to get all the shelving unit bits I had been attempting to put together back under cover as quickly as possible, result...drowned rat!

Sat in the shed for 20 minutes gently steaming until rain slowed, slunk back home for lunch...hrrrump. :(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 18:16:15 »
If you had called I might have been in Deb... then you could have had a coffee... I had a bit of a shunt in the torrential rain at 7:00am so was organising the insurance and repairs!
 ::)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2007, 07:37:22 »
I swear the foundations were shaking last night.  Still absolutely blowing a gale and torrential out there this morning.

Too scared to try and inspect.  Mind you the more that blows off the roof now, the more we can get repaired in one sitting (once the wind has died down enough for some brave soul to get up there and give us a quote).

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2007, 08:39:22 »
If you had called I might have been in Deb... then you could have had a coffee... I had a bit of a shunt in the torrential rain at 7:00am so was organising the insurance and repairs!

Sorry to hear it dad

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2007, 10:38:09 »
Horizontal rain outside the classroom not long ago. It seems to be clearing up now though. Doubtless not for long!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2007, 10:56:04 »
Fierce blusters outside the garret. Inside - the first full windowsill of seeds!

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 10:57:59 by supersprout »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 15:47:28 »
Heavy showers and gale force winds today at work, stopped raining now but still very windy.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal