Author Topic: First weekend on the lottie  (Read 2823 times)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
First weekend on the lottie
« on: January 14, 2007, 19:43:38 »
I'm a picture posting numpty, so I hope it's ok to post links. This is on Saturday morning;

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=89959652

This is Saturday afternoon (only managed an hour);

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=89959645

and this is today, after I'd spent about 5/6 hours there (with the three sprogs  ::));

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=90032493

The bit that's been dug has gone down 2ft, 3 in places. I reckon another hour and I'll have a 20ft by 10ft bed totally clear and ready.

I've met about half a dozen neighbours, one of whom has promised to keep me in cabbages. He identified the tree as being a plum (full marks for Saddad!!) and there's also a greengage further up. He said that both trees are very heavy fruiters. So, it's been a good weekend  :)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
Re: First weekend on the lottie
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 19:46:29 »
Oh, and I measured properly today. I'd estimated it to be 20ft by 100, but it's actually 20ft by 140ft. Should take some filling!

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 20:33:34 »
Whit-woo you've done some work there!  :o  Well done you, it's looking great so far, just remember, don't try to do it all at once!  Keep up the good work and keep those pics coming! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 20:39:17 »
Whit-woo you've done some work there!  :o  Well done you, it's looking great so far, just remember, don't try to do it all at once!  Keep up the good work and keep those pics coming! x

Thanks  :). I'm feeling it now though, going to have to have a soak in the bath in a bit!

How is yours coming along? You've just started too, haven't you?

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 20:51:34 »
You've done really well there. It's so satisfying when you can see the difference isn't it?
It's amazing how you'll soon manage to fill the space you have though. I started by thinking a 12' x 12' bed would be enough, but soon realised I 'd need to do a bit more digging! Your plot sounds like a good size.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 20:53:50 »
Yeah, we've just started too, there are four of sharing our plot, me, my hubby & my sister & her boyfriend.  We were hoping to get the beds marked out today but our lottie neighbours who promised to plough the plot for us last week hadn't managed it (due to the amount of rain we've had this last week no doubt) so we couldn't really do much  :'( .

However, we did manage to measure it finally - our plot is approx 10m x 40m.  So, still nothing done, no beds marked out, no paths in, no onions or garlic planted, but hey ho, there's always next weekend!

I'll post some pics of ours at some point, when I work out how to! x

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 21:12:54 »
ooo LB, the excitment of your first w/e !  Looks like you have your work cut out, but have made a good start.  I love looking at before / after pix - very inspiring.
mc

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 21:15:00 »
Well done, loads of work and you feel like an owner now.  Look after your back, try and lay some carpet or plastic, it is amazing what a difference it makes  when digging and works as mind over matter, if you can't see it, it does matter, but not at this moment.  Keep up the good work.....
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 21:37:01 »
However, we did manage to measure it finally - our plot is approx 10m x 40m.  So, still nothing done, no beds marked out, no paths in, no onions or garlic planted, but hey ho, there's always next weekend!

don't worry, Kitten, there's no rush, won't be long 'til you're knee deep in veggies
 ;D ;D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 21:48:56 »
Awww thanks manics, hope you're right! x

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 21:49:31 »
If you can get some black plastic or anti-weed membrane, it'd be worth pegging out over the bits you've dug. That way if you're clearing last season's weeds from other sections, they can't dump their seeds into your nice newly cleared ground.

Plus, if we get a big more of that warm yellow thing, it'll help warm the soil up underneath its covering, which will give seeds/ young plants a better start.

Congrats on a brilliant beginning! And like everyone else says, just take your time  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 23:26:32 »
Never measured my allotment plot. Will get round to it and let you know.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 17:32:01 »
Well done Laura bit at a time and it will all come together. Was that your pram or a posh wheelbarrow  ;D and the shoes on the cooker :o   Was you cooking Dover sole.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 08:53:55 »
Well done Laura bit at a time and it will all come together. Was that your pram or a posh wheelbarrow  ;D and the shoes on the cooker :o   Was you cooking Dover sole.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I've just realised what you're on about  :D. That pram is my pride and joy (or was, before the lottie!). I spent about a year restoring it. One of my lottie neighbours has an absolute beauty from about 1952 that's worth a fortune restored - and as you said is using it as a wheelbarrow. Made me giggle, one mans treasure and all that.

As for the shoes, they are this years dance shoes for the oldest sproglet. Subtle, aren't they?  8)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 17:58:35 »
Well done you have been working real hard.  But do not over do it just a little at a time and let some black plastic help you out a bit just lke Triffid suggest - but keep it up and let us have some more photos

BB :) :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal